Show me your Move - Short Animation

My new little project
“Show me your Move”
That was so much fun and I found a new friend :blush:
I liked a lot to work with the Rivet Character by CGCookie.com

Except for the character, it was a one man project.
Animation, Rendering and Compositing done with Blender 2.78.5
Video cut done with Adobe Premiere

I hope you like it!

Woulld be really happy about feedback and criticism.

2 Likes

I think that this should be a Gallery entry! :yes: The animation is very well-done, so that it really does look like Rivet is dancing with his partner.

This made me smile:yes: 5*****

Thank you very much for your Feedback! Really happy that you like it!

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

I find this really really fascinating. There are some missing stuff like reflections and shadow of the human dancer on interacting with the robot’s surface, but overall a really fantastic piece! :slight_smile:

P.S.
Kudos on that wonderful animation. If it was hand-keyed, that must’ve been a lot of work.

Thank you very much Reynante for your feedback, that motivates me a lot! I am really happy that you like it. The animation is all hand-keyed and yes, it took some time :slight_smile:
The Human dancer interaction with the robot surface is missing. Shadow is clear, but about the reflection, honestly I even dont know how I could do it. Maybe you have some advice.

Thank you! Keep your awesome work!

I don’t have any feedback or crits to give. Just wanted to say nice job! I enjoyed it. Five stars for you, sir.

Thank you very much for your Feedback, really happy that you like it. Saw that you have a Rigging Channel will defenetly check it out. there are some really interesting things.

Honestly i was watching this forum for 3 months now and i did not make account but after watching this i have to comment and say

Realy God Jop !!

Cool animation, really fun. Are you the human dancer? If so, nice moves!

awesome!!!

Quality work! Well done!

Nice work, I like how the robot surface looks it’s pretty amazing bad the animation too

Love it. Encore.

Thank you very much! Motivates me a lot!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes I am also the dancer. I tried my best :slight_smile:

Hey, great animation! Just a few hints when it comes to compositing/color correction, which is a very difficult thing to do. First, observe the neutral colors - white balance. His shoes are white, and you can see from the shade on his shoes that the environment light is blueish:

Observe also the slight chromatic aberration(the blue-ish/magentish color fringe) and the slight bloom from the big differences in light intensity. :

It’s also important to note that the highlights are much stronger than anything around it, BUT what I noticed is that you still set your robot’s highlights to be lighter than those(original image brightest value on shoe at 97%, robot’s brightest value on his head at 100%). That shouldn’t be possible, since he’s even more in the shadow than the dancer(look at the shade gradient on the wall from left to right).

First thing, always adjust the white balance on your digital footage, look at the darkest/lightest values on the original footage and adjust to those.

Very important are the artefacts that appear from video compression! That’s why you want to shoot at the highest res possible without compression, as these artefacts are really hard to simulate:

There will also always almost be some noise in very dark parts of footage, which you will then additionally need to simulate.

Here is my quick try at fixing some of those. The top one is the original one, the bottom one is my try:
https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=773d71d4-5c4c-11e7-b2ae-0edaf8f81e27

Wow!! Thats so much amazing! Thank you so much for your feedback, criticism, your work and your preview! Thats the reason why I post that here. That really helped me a lot. Wish I would have more knowledge about it. I would call me more an animator. Lighting and compositing are not my strongest skillz. Thank you!