Sooo, how do you manually update to newer version while keeping your settings?

I know this is stupid question but I can’t find an answer. So I have old version of blender that I have setup for me. Settings, addons, default starting scene… etc… And it is a manual install.

How do you update to newer version? I tried installing the .msi but it loads into default blender and all my settings are gone. I don’t even remember half of the addons I’ve downloaded so that is a no-go. I need my addons and other settings.

I then downloaded the .zip file but I don’t know where to extract it? Just extract it in the same folder as my older blender version?

Also how do I know whether the version I have installed is 64 or 32 bit?

What operating system are you using? How old is your “old” version of blender? When I use blender on linux it saves my settings between minor updates (i.e. 2.77 - 2.78 even 2.78 - 2.78 dev builds (2.79)), however it doesn’t load my settings when I try the 2.8 test builds.

You should always use the blender version corresponding to the architecture of your computer (If your computer is 64 bit, as most recent computers are, use 64 bit blender. If your machine is 32 bit, as most older desktops and some fairly recent laptops are, use 32 bit blender).

Hope this helps!

Windows 8.1 64bit. Blender is 2.74.

I was just wondering which version (32 or 64bit) I have installed. It’s probably 64bit but not sure…

in your users/name/appdata/roaming/blender foundation folder, copy the 2.74 folder and name it 2.78. no “a”, “b”, “c” or anything. works great for me.

not sure about addons though, if your addons installed to the appdata place, then it will give you your addons too.

you can run a zip blender from anywhere you like, since all the blender stuff is stored in the appdata place.

Thanks, this seems to work although I need to doublecheck everything