Opinions on my portfolio and how can i improve

i came to that part of learning when i dont know what i need to learn next in order to improve and with that i started questioning what i actually did learn.
From looking at other peoples renders i can clearly see i am missing a lot of things.Even thought of changing the render engine,perhaps keyshot is better than cycles? or maybe its just my lack of knowledge of it that makes my renders look below average?
Also i have been planing to learn to use zbrush and substance painter so with that i could do high level of detail and also textures.The people i look up to and want to become as good are:Vitaly bulgarov,Tor Frick,Edon gurazion,Chung Kan,etc.

My curent projects from my artstation portfolio dont really resemble their artstyle but i still try from time to time to move more towards that kind of hardsurface concepting.

My artstation profile: https://www.artstation.com/artist/thechosenone

What should i try to perfect? What should i try to improve? im also planing to start concepting more and improving more with sketching and 2D drawing in general,as it always helps to know how to use photoshop properly.

I apologize for my bad english,hope you get the points and thanks for the support given.

P.S. the thumbnail is just there so my post has a thumbnail in the list

Attachments

I think in your case, to really boost your skills as a fantastic artist, learn human anatomy.
Your 3D skills are pretty good, and surely you’ll keep practicing and getting better. But you’re really limited if all you know how to do is understand a 3D software in depth.
Anatomy is a great start, mate.

I feel your pain, the artists you mention are all artists I look up to and aspire to reach their lvl. What all of their work has in common is the sheer amount of detail and complexity. From my point of view this is where you need to direct your efforts to and that is what I also try to achieve.
Start a new project and treat each part of it as a project on its own. Patience and persistence is key. Study real word machinery and equipment and try to imitate it.
What will really help, is if you build a kitbash library. Your own private library of nuts, bolts, pistons, cables, hydraulics and parts so when you start a new project you don’t model everything from scratch but instead put parts together. This will give you more creative freedom and make your projects achieve greater levels of complexity. Make a google search for kitbash library to get some inspiration and start building.
And if you want to go hard core, select a model from your favorite artist and try to replicate it to the very last screw and bolt. It may take you weeks, maybe months but by the end of it you will have learned more than watching 100 tutorials on youtube. Just dont quit and keep at it.
Aside from all that, texturing is very important. Adding imperfections, dirt and grudge to your models will make them look like real life machinery and not like toys.
Since we seem to admire the same artists and share the same passion I thought I’d share my two cents with you. I’m in no way an expert, I’m just a begginer with a passion, but this is the stuff I try to practice every day (and its freaking hard when you have a day job, a wife and 2 kids).

Thanks,and same here.Its a bit hard to achieve that level of complexity when you have other responsibilities to take care of.I have been planning to make a kitbash library since aparently every hard surface artist has one :stuck_out_tongue:

And also i have been planning to study substance painter…but again thats a lot of stuff i have to pass throught.First i need to pass and absorb the traditional skills of drawing (anatomy,composition,line flow) and than go to learn a bit of photoshop while at it.And than go to learn substance painter for textures xD and also improve on my renders.

Which is a lot to take in.Especially as i said,when you have other things happening in your life.As far as i see my biggest issues seams to be the lack of time.

What you can do is work with fragments of time. Every 10 spare minutes you have progress with a small piece of your model, or draw a doodle :P. You can set small goals, like model a nut every day. By the end of the month you’ll have a library o 30 different nuts :P. Its easier said than done but working in short bursts may not seem a lot but at lest will keep you moving forward. It takes me months to finish stuff that others finish in days, but at least I get things done.

you have a point there.But what i hate whit doing things with pauses is when i am concepting a mech/gun/car if i make a pause and come back at a later time,i am in a different mood and i change a few things on the concept.But i see how i could do things like that daily.

I am just a learner, but I can tell you that you can focus on improving the colors a bit and adding finer details :slight_smile: Modeling is really good :smiley:

Thanks :smiley: i will try my best to master substance painter as fast as i can,so i can have those sexy PBR textures.