Symmetrical UV map - is Half a Monkeyhead Better than None?

So I deleted half of a Suzanne head, made a few changes, marked the seams (including down the back of the head), made sure all the center vertices were x-zeroed, uv-unwrapped it, and arranged the islands the way I want 'em (making sure all the center vertices are x-128).

Simple enough to mirror-modify and apply the mod to get a whole, perfectly symmetrical head. Done it a couple times, the marked seams mirrored beautifully. But I want a perfectly symmetrical mirror of my UV map too, and I can’t figure out how to do that.

The tutorials I’ve watched, the posts I’ve read, they show how to fiddle around until you get a UV map that’s kinda-sorta mirrored, but not how to get the perfectly symmetrical mirror of a UV map that applying a mirror modifier can give you for a mesh. There’s gotta be a way. Anybody help a noob out?

This one’s GIMPed for an example of it should look like:

Attachments

MonkeyHeadMaterialZones&UV005.blend (616 KB)

1 Like

Before the mirror modifier applied

After the mirror modifier applied

Sorry Richard, that’s not what happened for me. I didn’t realize it, but after I applied the mirror modifier the islands for the side it created appeared exactly on top of the islands I’d done earlier – txpetillo over in the CG cookie forums gave some solutions for that.

Thanks though!

1 Like

Richard, that’s exactly what I expected to happen when I applied the mirror modifier, but it didn’t. :confused:

As in the screenshot, did you enable the U textures tickbox in the modifier settings before you applied the modifier ? This mirrors the texture coordinates for the mirrored half

I thought I did, but when I tried it again it worked exactly as you showed. Thanks for your help!