Angled Rotor / Rotation on local Axis (HELP NEEDED)

Hi everyone,

I’m currently running into problems animating a angled rotor for a helicopter. The rotor is angled at 20°. (See attached pictures)

A short history on my attempts so far. I parented all objects to the center hub and tried to rotate the rotor by rotating it on the local axis (turned the rotor by rotating the origin by 40000°). That did not work out at all. Either the rotor was barely moving or the rotor tumbled around all axises.

My second guess was to use a bone and to parent all objects of the rotor to it. (With automatic weights).
This attempt also resulted in tumbling of the rotor, when animated.

I’m not sure how to do this. I’m also not sure about the whole (apply rotation to object thing). :confused:

If someone could help me out and could provide me a (easy to follow) step by step guide would be extremely helpful.

Thank you very much in advance!
Greetings from Germany. :slight_smile:

Fast

Two possible options depending on what you want to do and how you have modelled

Animate without the object rotated, parent to an empty and then rotate the empty to the desired angle

Change the rotation order from the default XYZ Euler to something like ZYX Euler (see attached demo)

Attachments

rotate.blend (92.5 KB)

Thank you very much Richard. This helped me out a lot! Everything is working now. :slight_smile:

Greetings

Fast