UV test grid help

Hi peeps,

I’m following a tutorial where the intructor sets up a UV test grid that apply’s itself on the model.

My version is newer than the one in the tutorial and having trouble following the steps. I’m not sure if its because I have a newer version OR just doing something wrong!

Example image here:

My version of bender is v2.78 ( The instructors is v2.63).

The instructor applys the test grid from the ‘browse image’ icon situated in the bottom tool bar.

He then looks at the properties panel and selects ’ textured solid ’ under display.

This then displays the grid on the model. When I follow the steps this doesnt work for me. I will add my .blend file below.

Any help would be great!

FireHydrant.blend (4.86 MB)

You are using Cycles render engine and textured solid is not available in Cycles
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/3dview/properties/shading.html#shading-panel
Shouldn’t even be an option really

Either switch to Blender render to be able to use face assigned textures (images assigned to UV faces) with or without textured solid, or add the image in the material and use textured viewport shading

Fast way to do the latter is to drag and drop the image icon in the node editor. Alt+Z is the shortcut for the textured viewort shading in the 3D view.