a poll about node programming limitations

I was attempting to make my own texture-bomber and was dismayed to find out I can’t pass a handle to an image. I can pass the image itself but not a reference to an image.
This means in my bombing setup I had to literally make an image texture node with a Texture Mapping input to scale and rotate it. Then recreate it again but with different scale and rotate, etc.
For my 3-layer bombing that means I had to re-import an image texture of the same image three different times. That makes it impossible to group everything and have an image as an input.
Anybody have any suggestions, or +1s?
thanks

The only texture bomber setup I know I think Secrop did it (might be mistaken) and it was a voronoi feeding its coordinates into the image texture. It was working pretty nicely but cropped the image sometimes, and any overlap was impossible.

I know only programming basics so I don’t know what a handle is.

just saw this thread now…
Using the Voronoi is somewhat not the best approach as we cannot overlap textures. I used it before, but now I rely in other methods for it.
here’s the thread where I posted one of my last ‘texture bomber’; and here’s the OSL code. (the image texture should be packed into the blend file so that OSL can be faster to read it)

I have another version of it without OSL, but I’m using the my Loop custom node.