Realistic underwater animation

Hi guys. CC welcomed. This is still work in progress but i think that the efffect and the mood is already good. But what do you think?

Looks pretty darn awesome.

I think I’d lower the fog a bit (as the distance is small, fog is nice to fake light absorption over larger distances but now it makes the water look milky) and add small particles instead. Focus-blur the particles a bit and they add to the whole atmosphere.

Thanks for the tips and critique

The sun’s light and how they react to the wavy water on their way to the sea floor is super important to add. I’m not sure how to go about it, But if you could manage that it would boost your work from “needs work” to “this is really freakin rocks”.

Look at real videos and copy the visuals. I remember underwater scenes to be a notch darker with thicker fog. When you look up a reference, follow it to the T, post your result here and I’m sure we’ll get to bigger conclusions a lot faster.

Thanks for the feedback. My longer underwater animation (2 minutes long) with the camera swim through the underwater plants and caves is almost done. But the rendering time will take ages.

Looks good.Under water effects could have been improved more since its a deep inside water.You can also refer some NGC or discovery channel showing some under water camera shots.

christaelrod Thanks for your comment. I was trying to increase volume samples to make it more deep but then you can hardly see the fish so decided to leave it like that. Anyways my main goal was to recreate that dust effect with underwater particles and sun rays that piercing through the cloud of dust, that was quite fiddly work but i am happy how the effect came out.