Append / Link Asset from File Browser editor

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to contact moderators to move this thread back to Blender Discussion category, since this is not a question like “how to”, it’s feature request.

I’m speaking about editor “File Browser” that can be choosen as part of screen layout.
That is not the same as file browser under “File” menu that expand to whole window to let you open, save, append or link.

Since there already exists “asset manager” inside blender with generated previews, would be great workflow use one editor type “File Browser” in layout, so we can browse in assets, and simply drag&drop asset (objects, node trees, materials …) from window to 3d view.
See mockup.

Current “File Browser” editor let you browse, and thanks to Ton (a few years back) we can drag&drop images, that’s seems to me quite limited from perspective what can be append or linked from blend files.

All code parts (in general) are in blender already, just enabled them in “File Browser”, right? Is here someone that knows how this magic can happen? Thanks for your opinion

That would be very handy maybe 2.8 has this sorta thing implented?

2.8 take ages to be ready, I quietly thought maybe somebody can enhance 2.79 build with a little attention :slight_smile: