curve modifier

I’m trying to use the curve modifier to deform an object.
So picture a tube with a curve running through the center. That’s the starting position, and shouldn’t affect the tube at all. If I then bend the curve, the tube should bend with it.
Now what happens instead is that as soon as I add the modifier to the tube, it spins off in different directions.
How do you set the curve’s starting position, so that I can bend it afterwards?
(Just a note, the tube doesn’t run perfectly along the x, y or z axis.)

Okay I figured it out.
Here’s the steps in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

1. apply rotation and scale on object.
  2. (optional) set origin of object- in the center of the object. (shift + ctrl + alt + C > origin to 3d curser.)
  3. (optional) snap 3d curser to origin (Shift+S)
  4. insert a new curve. It will appear at 3d curse position in the center of your object.
  5. add the curve modifier and select the new curve
  6. The object will move off to the side. Select curve, go into edit mode, select the last vertice- (the one all the spider legs are pointing to.) snap 3d curser onto it. (shift S > curser to selection)
  7. in object mode (curve still selected) set origin to 3d curser (shift + ctrl + alt + C > origin to 3d curser) The object should now return to its original location.
  8. in Object mode, not edit mode, you can move the curve around, rotate it, line it up on object.
  9. now when you go into edit mode, and bend the curve, the object should bend without a problem.