Object Thickness For 3d Printing

If no hole is placed in an object, when it is 3d printed, is it assumed to be a completely solid object, or does it have no thickness?

Why is it that the solidify modifier does not give wall thicknesses that are exactly what the setting is? For instance, if I set the thickness to 1cm, the walls are usually less than half that thick, according to the ruler tool.

Why is it that the solidify modifier does not give wall thicknesses that are exactly what the setting is? For instance, if I set the thickness to 1cm, the walls are usually less than half that thick, according to the ruler tool.
Apply any scale your object may have (Ctrl+A)

If no hole is placed in an object, when it is 3d printed, is it assumed to be a completely solid object, or does it have no thickness?
A spce inside the object ? A printed object cannot have no thickness ! Show us what you are talking about

I meant that, if you were to print a cube immediately after inserting it into Blender, would the cube print as a solid block, or would the printer refuse to print it? After a bit of research, I realize that all the walls of every object must be explicitly given a thickness.

its actually not as hard as people thing to 3D print. just make sure everything u print has SOME volume, and is not completely flat.
the less volume it has, the harder it will be, due to warping and a few other factors, but its even possible to print stuff almost paper thin, its just very hard.

here is another one, the sphere has a huge volume, and is easy to print. the one in the middle is 1 plane thin, which will cause problems. the one on the right has volume, but due to the shape, and overhang, it will be hard to print, but perfectly possible with some experience.

side note, you may hear many places that you SHOULD NEVER HAVE TWO OBJECTS INTERSECTING EACHOTHER!

this is a good rule of thumb, but is definetly not true… what will happen here is very straight forward, it will print one cube inside the other. in some very spesific scenarios it may cause object to be weaker, but by the time you want to print something where this matters at all, you will already have learned the limitations of printing this way.

(images will be sendt as links now cause i cant post more than 3 images)

https://i.gyazo.com/5ea50c91cbb5b2d9471621b0741085bb.png
also this is perfectly fine, as long as there is no air gap between the two objects, they will print as a solid piece. no problem at all! actually in some cases you WANT this as you get a solid weld.

ohh and just some more information, if you print a default sphere, it wont print it solid. there are software called “slicers” which you have to process your model through before sending it to a printer, and these slicers will set the thickness of the wall, and how to fill inn the inside. you can have it hollow, but it can also fill it inn with a grid.

https://gyazo.com/0e37923b7c7a90289fc48ed6c2afefb0
this is how a default sphere would print with default settings in the slicer.

mind you, that was done with blender booleans. look up some time lapses of 3D printers and u will understand. and NO you do NOT have to model the grid on the inside, as long as ur model has volume.

if you have any futher questions, feel free to ask and ill help you as soon as i can. you can post spesific models and i can tell you what trouble you may run into, and what actions you should take to print that spesific model.

lol i just realized i wrote possibe twice… haha my bad.

Cool. Thanks for the helpful response!

So, if you were to just drop a sphere into Blender and print it, depending on what slicer is used, it would print, even though it has no thickness? My current plan is to use solidify on everything.

It would print solid

Easy way to make it hollow is to add solidify modifier which puts another surface opposite of the original, which describes a solid between the two.

Another thing is what you use to print. For example, if the printer uses powder, might want to model a hole on some side so you don’t have to drill in it if you want the powder out.

You know?

3D Printing & Design Tutorials.
Here you can find information and how-tos about everything from using different 3D modeling software tools, creating 3D printable models, to managing your Shapeways shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials

They also have good reference guides for 3Dprint production with different materials…