Landscape architecture - creating impressions

Hi people, I just downloaded blender this week and thought to give it a go. Some friends from college are using sketchup to make reference images for projects, but I didn’t like the limitations of artstyle and textures… So here I’m trying to figure out blender.

The problem is, I’m trying to create a landscape and some models to fill it up. However, I don’t really have a clue what would work here (If i try using grass strands, the render time would probably surpass a week at this scale). Also, there’s different soil material’s I’d need to combine (sand, silt, grass and cobble/asphalt in the village).

I’m wondering if I picked up the right software after all and wether such reference images would be worth my time:spin:.
I know I won’t produce great artworks within a week of learning blender, but here’s what I got so far:

Any suggestions on how I could simplify my ideas, combine textures or… whatever you think of, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Neil,

I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
There is certainly no point trying to add strand grass at the distance you are viewing the scene!
I would look at a photo of somewhere that looks typical of what you are trying to create
For example, Cutler, Maine.

You can see from this that the ‘grass’ are patches of green. The shape and variation in colour are more important.
The woody patches have a slight displacement that you could obtain with a micro-displacement with a colour that varies.
Roads and asphalt are ligh grey with only a slight variation in colour
The sea is a dark colour, much darker than you show, and the shore is a very defined dark line except for a few (almost the same as asphalt coloured) beaches

So far I really like your model. The size and positioning of all the little structures is very nice
I think you have chosen the correct tool, there is not so much difference between what you can achieve in SketchUp compared to Blender. And Blender can do a whole lot more!

It is textures and colours you need to look at, but keep it simple to start and it will look great!

Best of luck

Martin