Fountain

Current progress:

Original post:

Hey guys,

I recently got a new computer at work with nice specs and I thought it would be fun to set up fluid simulations and let them run every night when I leave work. My goal with this project is basically to make the most epic looking fountain possible. I’m going to run a new simulation every night and find ways to blend them together into something coherent.

Here’s the result of the first simulation.

Baked a second simulation over the weekend. Here’s the result:

Finished the simulations for the base of the fountain.

There are currently visible seams where the separate fluid simulations merge. I thinking about adding a fluid particle system which look like water vapor and disguise the seams a bit.

Added jet streams to the top of the fountain.

This looks nice. The light is pretty realistic as it is and the jet streams, though not very obvious look solid as well. I think it’s the water definition tha gives it away though; what resolution are you rendering this at?

That last test render was 1920x800. I think the biggest issue is the drips closest to the camera… they look a bit to low res. I ran the simulation at 650, but I could probably push it a bit higher. I might 750 tonight, and then after that add some water vapor particles to the bottom rim of the fountain.

Working on a duck which will be added to the fountain eventually.