Texture shows up black in materials (cycles)

Hi guys,

I’ve been busy all day with the great new tutorial ‘wormhole VFX’ made by GC Masters. I think I’ve must have missed a direction because since the start of the project the texture doesn’t appear when i switch the viewport to Material. It didn’t bothered much, but now i want to tweak some mapping details but they only show up in the rendered view (in realtime). As you can understand that is annoying. So i would like to know where i went wrong on this, and how to properly correct it. please have a look at the .blend file below.

thanks a lot already.

a1.blend (1.15 MB)

ur missing the diffuse shader in the node editor. dont use the Viewer node, i dont even know what it does, but you dont need it for anything :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure what you mean by that. When i leave the Viewer node out and connect the Diffuse BSDF in between nothing much changes in Material viewport. Would you mind showing me in a .blend file?

Opening the supplied .blend file I see a texture in the viewport
Should it be something different ?

thats odd, this is what i get to see;

attempt closing blender entierly and opening the file you submitted to us.

thats what i did in the prt scr above.

go to File, and Load Factory Settings. then open the file.

What version of blender ?
If using gpu rendering try cpu
Try a different texture
In properties panel under Display try turning off ‘Only Render’

this is in 2.78c
cpu is selected
I also tried it with ColorGrid. Same outcome
also tried turning off ‘Only Render’, no result.

a bit afraid to load factorysettings. but i install the latest version tomorrow to see how it shows up there.

thx so far.

In your material setting ensure you have connected the shader node to the Surface input of the Material Output node and not the Volume input. If you connect it to the volume input you will get the same appearance as your screenshot

I must be misunderstanding things, i thought that’s how it was connected in the supplied .blend file (as seen here below). Could you please hook me up with a fixed .blend so i can see for myself what the right configuration should look like?

replace the viewer node with a diffuse node.

ty very much. Still wondering why in the tutorial on youtube the viewer node does work.