Considerations regarding phone VR headsets...

I tried today one of these simple 10 euros VR headsets, that you attach your mobile phone to them. And I was not impressed. I mean that is OK, it looks nice, and it looks 3D, but that’s it.

The models that were tested were a Samsung Galaxy type, and a OnePlus 3 which were pretty expensive, about 400 euros each. And then I even tested my beloved iPhone 4 which I still use daily. The videos were streamed directly from Youtube and on the android devices some games were downloaded as well. My first impressions were somewhat of boredom, there was some sort of depth perception which felt like 10cm at most, but I would get the feeling of looking inside a little box, it would feel 0% immersive. The games looked same as the videos but with the additional feature of interactive control, which did not change anything.

The final word would be that by using the mobile VR headset I would get the same result as by looking a cross eyed stereogram, but with the benefit of not having to bend the eyes. But there is no immersion, the content feels looking at “miniatures”. My final word is that considering the cost of 10 euros, the purchase is not even felt, so there is no point making a value for money suggestion. But unfortunately my mouth could not open. :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:

I consider that within a few years I might buy (aka throw-money-away) a headset for PC, but still would not expect much, just the basic stuff. Also I hope someone I know (friend or relative) would buy one and that way I can do a test drive for free (if the motto “try before you buy” still holds then that would be an easy way to evaluate the purchase). :smiley:

Note: In regards to Pixel density the iPhone4 outperformed both of the android phones, due to Apple’s craziness of retina displays.

i think this is really dependent on the individual. like some people like roller coasters, and others not so much. in the same way, some peoples minds are more easily convinced. i can sort of “turn on” my ability to see 3d effect, and also ignore the effect.

my 5.5 inch 1920x1080 phone display (moto z play) is plenty for my headset. the focus is a touch off, but i can still convince myself its 3d. my headset is a bit more at 30 usd and has a nice housing with adjustable optics. a cardboard box just isnt enough.

unless you get an actual PC headset, the results are going to be lacking. i have never tried one of those PC headsets, but i can imagine they are much higher resolution and far more optimized.

>> i can sort of “turn on” my ability to see 3d effect

I noticed that “turn on 3D mode” effect myself. As I was looking at that a roller coaster video, the first 5 seconds looked completely flat, despite that my focus was crisp and clear, my perception was off. However after 10 seconds passed, I started seeing depth.

I have studied a little about brain theory and my estimation is that perhaps this VR 3D perception is a new skill and it needs to be learnt. For example the brain is wired from the ground up to see the real 3D world since birth, and by exposing a new way of perception might induce some “short circuit” that needs to be figured out. This was a good notice you made, I will test it over time and I will respond if anything new occurs.

>> i can still convince myself its 3d

This interesting, do you get immersion as well? This 10-euro piece has adjustable mechanisms, but relatively simple. By looking at schematics of other more expensive headsets, they look that they are composed of much more pieces, and the mechanisms are quite advanced. This might be the reason that they are able to offer immersion, this is like a effect of microscopes, which enlarges the images. Perhaps I might get a better piece if I read more reviews.

immersion comes best with interaction, but its still hit and miss.

mine has adjustable zoom, which really helps. i noticed that my crappy screen protector causes visual distortion that close. shimmering, rough speckles, etc. that also breaks immersion.

i havent used mine as much as id like too. but once i get into making mobile games, i hope to learn what makes for good immersion.