Kaman SFTR-720 USCG Concept

Im currently working on a drone concept with intermeshing rotors.

Detailing is up next. All shaders and backdrops are just placeholders.

Current State: (31.07.2017)

Draft.07 (Sampletextures/Refuel-Scene-Test/Life-Raft-Pod)

Stay tuned for more.

Greetings from Germany.
Fast

I’m running into minor problems with some of the test shaders. The pointless effect for weathering the edges does not show up in the rendered image. Viewport works fine however. (Image below)

I’m not sure what is causing this problem. I checked all the render settings. It’s not the clamping or one of the post effects. Does somebody ever ran into similar problems? The Node setup is simple. I attached it as well, in case something looks suspicious to someone.

The current/updated state of the project is displayed in the first post of this thread.

Greetings from Germany,
Fast

I love the design, it looks like a sea mammal gone airborne.

I just UV-Unwrapped the whole thing. Still playing around with the shaders. Recreating the USCG-Logo in Illustrator is done as well. It’s not a one to one conversion. The 1790 needs to be turned around (will fix that in a future update)

Still need to model some of the details :slight_smile:
Here is the current State of the project.

Stay tunes for more.
Greetings from Germany,
Fast

Nice model and cool concept. Your own, or based on an existing one?

Nice work, are you also going to model the turbine exhaust?

Hi there. I spent some time refining the model, shaders and details.

I ditched the design for the air intakes at the “nose” of the craft. Will have to figure out a different way to get the airflow to the engines. Maybe I will post some sketches later on.

@ GrimZA: Yes I modeled the turbine exhaust. Im kinda happy with the outcome, because I was in fear that the exhaust would mess up the basic shape of the overall design too much. Here is a viewport-render for a closer look.

@ strapazie: This is my own concept. I scribbled the basic shape on my Ipad and then headed directly to Blender to explore the basic shape of the craft.

I still have a lot of work to do. Next will be the belly-mount for a deployable life raft or aerosol fire extinguish-launcher.
The basic model for the landing/spotting led-strips on the frontal skids is done. Just need to add lights and reflectors.

Side Note: I will update the next previews of the project in PNG file-format…the jpg. compression on BA is quite awful :confused:

Stay tuned for more!
Greetings from Germany,
Fast

Quick update. Not enough time to work on the main model today. Instead I quickly tried to reproduce the wave pattern that is created while a helicopter is hovering over a water surface. Not even close to the real thing though. Just wanted to get something done today. :slight_smile:

Basic shape created in photoshop. Displaced on top of a subdivided plane.

Stay tuned for more!
Greetings,
Fast

Major details on the Lens-System are done. Just some minor tweaks left to do.

Also revised the air intake for the engine. Quite happy with it, compared to the previous attempt.

I switched up the rubber-material for the “hoof’s”. Still not happy with it, but getting closer.
A full Render of the current project state is in Post “#1

Btw. The render is altered in Photoshop to simulate photo effects.

Stay tuned for more.

Greetings from Germany,
Fast

This is a very convincing model. I can easily see this vehicle being added to the coast guard fleet.

(I’m new to the thread - did you ever resolve the rendering issue you were having with the pointiness attribute?)

Not as much progress as I hoped to accomplish this weekend, but small steps into the right direction. :slight_smile:

The “Air Station Insignia” for the imaginary heliport is finished. I chose a Sea-Elephant as a Logo mascot because it also was the inspiration for the whole design of the craft.

I also finished some minor decals and added a exhaust to the craft. The Smudge around the exhaust pipe is just some fiddling around. Will finalize it later on.

@Mark06GT: Thank you very much for asking. I was able to resolve the issue. The Pointless node was not able to produce results because I had too many subdivisions in the mesh.

Stay tuned for more!

Greetings from Germany,
Fast

Super quick update.

Modeled the air/refueling tube with mechanism and startet texturing it. Also revised the refuel-lance of the Kaman to get a more realistic result.

I attached a rendered version to the opening post of this thread.

Stay tuned for more!

Greetings from Germany,
Fast

The pod for the deployable liferaft is almost done. Also refined the textures a little bit.

I played around with the motion blur and added some rolling shutter to the scene.

The main body is still work in progress as I’m still missing some smaller details. But I’m on it. :slight_smile:
The US. Coast Guard logo is fixed and final.

Also added a fictional “Kaman Robotics” logo to the front of the craft.
Took me ages to rebuild the Kaman logo in Illustrator due to the weird shapes of the original logo. I altered it a little bit and streamlined the font. :slight_smile:

By the way. I started to design and model the Seaview Coast Guard Headquater (fictional). Updates on the progress on the building will follow in future updates.

Stay tuned for more!

Greetings from Germany,
Fast

It’s looking really good. I like the motion blur on the rotors

Nice concept design! Looks very plausible too.