Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I think in all that armor he would have a more pronounced contact point (recoil position), where his weight comes off his back foot and down on to the front one. My own animations skills are far from perfect, but I try to give the character some weight, to make them more believable.

My characters have a "hook" bone which attaches to the hips, this is the bone I use for moving the center of mass, it goes up and down as you walk, and sometimes from side to side (depending on how sexy you want your walk to be).

There's a lot of good animation tutorials out there, I suggest making like 5 or 6 animations and then choosing the best one. With animation, as with anything, the more you do it, the better you'll get.

I gotcha, I can add a weighty feel letting the body drop more when it comes in cantact with the ground...and then before it raises drop the arms and shouldres a bit to give that weighty feel with the plate...the thing is I am trying to limit the number of animations and use them on all sorts of other meshes....doing it this way it would look really odd to have him wearing very heavy cloth

You do have a valid point, I just do not have that kind of time to add separate animations for each armor...I already need to do it for each weapon type....

on a side note..
    I do have many more animations done..straffing and jumping...mostly movement, but I still need to do a lot...and then switch it all to FK..because as stated earlier in the thread(and probably other places) IK is quite slow in the engine....as well as alpha transparent shadows...which I am trying to work through those as well....trying to find a balance between vertex count an non alpha foliage.

but all this aside, I need to get my particle system up and running, and I am knee deep in that...my ide is open on my other monitor as I am typing this.
    "The crows seem to be calling my name." Thought Kaw.
    Myrlea, "The Shepherd's Quest" formerly "Valiant" [project]

These days I make all my animations in one strip. So frame 0-20 is default, 21-40 is walk, 41-60 is armored walk etc...
    Then I use python .playAction() to set the right range of frames and playback speed. It saves a lot of developmdnt time and making similar actions is just a case of copy/paste some keyframes and tweak their positions.

It's also super easy to bake the whole action to FK just before exporting the game to give players a little speed boost.

Another trick is to use that one animation but customize some armatures for different characters. The can all share the same animation and you delete any extra bones, like wings or tails which aren't needed. This reduces lag when animating as all the extra bones just waste processing time.
    When animating only bones that exist are animated, other keyframes are discarded without error.

Originally Posted by Smoking_mirror View Post
    These days I make all my animations in one strip. So frame 0-20 is default, 21-40 is walk, 41-60 is armored walk etc...
    Then I use python .playAction() to set the right range of frames and playback speed. It saves a lot of developmdnt time and making similar actions is just a case of copy/paste some keyframes and tweak their positions.

It's also super easy to bake the whole action to FK just before exporting the game to give players a little speed boost.

Another trick is to use that one animation but customize some armatures for different characters. The can all share the same animation and you delete any extra bones, like wings or tails which aren't needed. This reduces lag when animating as all the extra bones just waste processing time.
    When animating only bones that exist are animated, other keyframes are discarded without error.
    I used to do one strip of anim, but that was when I needed to export to an external engine....I really see no use for it now. I just grab the first frame from what I assume is the previous animation and start with that as the base for the next animation...e.g. last run frame = first jump frame...something like that....but jump is it's own anim entirely controlled by distance to ground ratio....otherwise the player loops while in the air....I started like that...it was quite humorous.

and I do plan on getting rid of excess bones...all part of the ik>fk switch....the base rig will never be changed though...just the exported rigs.

on a side note I have been working on my particles and particle script...part way through I decided it was better in some conditions to just use the bricks for particles, but in other cases I use vertex emission(emitting from verticies)...this can be done in any order or specific verts...or even random verts on any mesh object..this uses no bricks aside from attaching the script to a mesh and the mesh must have faces(can be invisible)..I have been trying to get a decent screen shot..but something in my linux distro, or my graphics card gives me isssues....
    I have been trying for an hour and just decided I would show the distorted screen shot anyway...I would love to find a 'switch case' type of usage in python...instead of if, elif, elif...but I'll live until I learn more python.

(left) basic fire (middle)emit from verticies (back right)fire ball with trail and random velocity...hard to make out...sorry.
    (ignore the to-do note in the top far right...did not update it this week )
    particles.jpg
    also, the middle emitter is just using a base particle with random colors assigned.

Valinant[project] update July 23, 2017

Valinant[project] update July 23, 2017
    overtime overtime overtime that's been main project the last two weeks with my day job..but moving on...
    I am uploading the vidoe now. It should be live within the hour. Here are some notes on what I've done in the video..
    and what I am planning for the upcoming weeks...
    followed by a bit more long term goals.
    ofc, when all is done I will be mostly be working on polish for a few months(reliant on play testing) as well as adding assets..some assets...even those seen in the videos are placeholder models that I had from older games...I will likely make new assets trying to make them fit better in my vision.
    Minor Additions:

time 24 hour clock

day and night (stars added, no moon, sun or clouds(no weather in general))
    slightly better ai(pathfinding improved, and returning home after losing interest, not shown in video)
    the ai issues encountered before were due to overly large colliders..not allowing enemies to track player vectors around corners..because all I am doing is storing the 'last seen' player location and then every 1/4 second add a new vector to a list of vectors for enemies to track..
    ...so long as they
    A) do not see the player or
    B) their aggo timer reaches a certain point...this can lead to case 'c'
    C) I do not see the player and I have lost interest in the player...sneaking.
    the enemies also had trouble going through doors...this was fixed by using an empty with the col and scaling the empty..this works amazingly well...just need to be careful not to apply scale the the empties or they revert to their original scale.

Fixes improvements:
    constant repair..frame rate fluxuations..as with any development when adding features or code it can create complications in other areas
    with so much code being reliant on other parts it can get tricky...some cases are self sufficient pieces of code thankfully. but because of any additions I also ended up with random frame drops...so I created...
    the light manager and worked a little on how the camera culls objects...would be faster in 'C' and natively run through the GE
    but as it stands it is still functional...I cannot complain about that.

Breakages:
    more animations broken...(human error probably) loc, rot or scale were not set for a few anims before import(appending)

features:

more animations added..also breakage rotations get lost or I forget to key them???

particles with per vertex emissions(not shown in video) these will allow me to create more elaborate effects and spells. better yet, Fireballs..yep the foundations for ranged combat is mostly in place. I still need to add armor and blocking + their damage adjusters

Next week or two:

want to finish the animations(finally) 16/32 complete...but some of these are minor(cutting wood, sweeping or hammering an anvil) and do not contribute actual play, but to immersion and living world.

I also want to finish getting the armors and weapons into the game...they are mostly done, but I need to handle them in a type of struct or class to change stats
    for the actors.

planned:
    first I need to add a rudimentary inventory to store items...including quest items...otherwise I could do this later with the interface.

sound machine
    to handle world sound canvas and actor states...walk run attack etc.

quest system re-write*
    I have a crude proof of concept in place...and it fails miserably...I need to commit to this in order to get it to work.

finaly interface...one of the last things I like to do...unless there are needs for sub parts earlier....like the inventory and quest binding.
    Last edited by JustinBarrett; 23-Jul-17 at 12:19.

quick note...I have fixed a majority of the animation issues..I also fixed the animation on the caster...they will no longer just loop through the casting animation repeatedly...simple enough fix..I also removed the stick that was up ferguss ass ...all the animation still needs polish...but I cannot stress enough that most of this is just implementing the basics of the game and not really the finished product...some things will stay, but when I have all the basics implemented and start more level/world design these things will get fleshed out.
    I am not saying to expect miracles ...I could spend a long time making one asset really nice looking with nice animations, but I cannot do that for hundreds

This afternoon I 'JUST' started to work on the inventory...this is a big portion of the game for me...it will be tied in with questing and bartering etc...anyone that has done this before will tell you...it is no small task and should never be just half implemented...anyway...until next time...I imagine it will be another two weeks before another update....Germany factory work in the warm months means overtime...all the time.

I began work on a lot of backend stuff for inventory/items/buy sell...any interaction one would have for in game items basically...Most of this is heavily based on code and less on the actual interface design..like getting empty slots, switching items in slots...making sure that food items are not equipable etc..you know...fun stuff

Although I realize it may be a few weeks before I can actually do a good video I threw some 'proof of concept' things together today and thought I would show it...nothing too exciting aside from the fact I can now make any items I want..I just need to set some properties on an object and the code dynamically does the rest...replacing the mesh assigning values to the player etc etc.

here are some basic weapons to get me started. I still need to add consumables..and well...a lot more items in general.
    I realize these are not spectacular, but I can polish them up later.
    base_items.jpg
    and here is the very basic panels and buttons I have now...still missing spell book and skill tree(if I can get it working...I would like that) this is actually two screen grabs sewn together, quickly, I might add
    menu_inventory_work.jpg

This game looks promising. Thank you for sharing the WIP.

Thanks for the interest..I really like the axe model you posted in these forums recently btw ...I really need to start working on my assets as well...

I know it has been quiet...usually projects start out and people lose interest or they hit a wall in development or reach the end of their skill level....none of that is happening I have been hard at work on the inventory...I'm still working on it TBH... I have it in game(previous image was a stand alone scene) and I am trying to come up with a good standardized theme for the game...so into 2d with some touches of 3d the following is what I have so far. It has some jaggies, but I do not want to smooth anything until it is finalized.
    UI__theme_00.jpg
    this is just a piece, I also need to do my button sheets(mouse over, off, pressed etc) and the spell and skills set is still relatively blank..
    I also need to do all the icons...that will be a PITA, but well worth it. The previous image were 3D objects..anyway...just wanted to let people know I am still knee deep in pixels, polygons and python.

knee deep in pixels, polygons and python.
    I'll have to remember that line, it's fantastic!

That UI is looking very professional. Great job. I'll be interested to hear how you manage all the user interactions (eg button clicking + menus) as that is a place I normally end up spending/wasting vast amounts of time.
    "Someone applied a roof texture to that wall" - martinsh

@sdfgeoff: you are welcome to take credit for the statement and thanks for checking out my WIP...
    TBH I simply have an empty in scene[1] with the ui elements and it has all the keybaord bricks and a mouse over any brick...the ui is OFC polygons so I can just refference via mouse over hitObject etc..it is really not so complicated. I can post a short video this week to just show it working..

as far as the clicking the icons and buttons themselves just 'activate' when clicked and it is contexed sensative based on a property(type or state)...I'm still working on it so...it is still very fluid.

I still have not done the linking between real world objects creating icons, and icons creating objects in the real world...but that should be trivial...I can just copy properties between all of them back and forth and add scene object etc...I hope that makes some semblance of sense???

On a side note...,not sure if I mentioned this, I am looking for a propper title for the game..If I have time I will post a synopsis of the game story to see if anyone can come up with a name for me..I have a bunch of names...but I feel like they all sound the same

I am ready to finalize the ui for in game(inventory/character sheet) I may as well ask here if there is anything anyone feels should be changed or may be missing that I may have overlooked(just the panels, I know some UI elements are missing)...to note, this does not include the actual spells and skills view, they are a separate image. Other than that criticism is welcome and wanted.
    UI__theme_00.jpg

the ui is OFC polygons so I can just refference via mouse over hitObject etc..
    Try have only one mouse over sensor. BGE casts a ray for each mouse over sensor, so if you have lots of them your performance will suffer.

I still have not done the linking between real world objects creating icons, and icons creating objects in the real world
    If you have your models in separate files you can write a script that renders objects from the blend file into images that can be used for icons. Hang on, that wasn't what you were meaning at all.
    My advice is to realise that the HUD is simply an interface to the "real world". So any logic relating to the interface should be in the HUD (eg menu's and submenus), but any logic relating to creating or manipulating objects should be in the "real world." Sounds simple enough, but it took me forever to figure out.

One critique I do have is the use of small caps for the text. It's much easier to read lower case letters than upper case ones, so perhaps try a similar font that has a lower case. (I believe it's because UPPER CASE WORDS HAVE RECTANGULAR OUTLINES, but lowercase has different heights that we pick up on.)
    Last edited by sdfgeoff; 04-Aug-17 at 14:17.
    "Someone applied a roof texture to that wall" - martinsh

Yes, I do only have one mouse over sensor...no wait..I have two...one for the player scene, and one in the ui scene I cannot cast rays between scenes AFAIK without witchcraft ...two is not too bad...I would not put a sensor on every UI element...that is just crazy

as far as the items go I just have the same properties on the real world item, and the icon aside from a string property used to create the other...

e.g. the string property in the real object will create an icon with all the same properties !except that string is taken from the real world object...confusing? lol...it's ok. I have it under control...uh I think No worries I know where I can ask questions

Just like the good old games.
    anime, manga, blender3d

@sdfgeoff: as far as the text...that was the best font I found to fit the style I am going for...I understand what you are saying...all the caps tend to make it look like a series of boxes due to the boarder shape of the letters...whereas lower case breaks it up and mental memory catches it...I will need to look into it. I can't make any promises...it is hard to find a nice font that is free to use without credit...especially celtic styles(hollywood celtic).

@Akira_San: what!?? Am I doing something that used to be an old development trick or something? I really have no idea...I just make this stuff up as I go...I have a coding problem, I think "what is the easiest way to solve this"...and I do it...later if it is too slow or turns into a hassle I start over... I think my longest script is about 200 line atm...so nothing crazy...
    for perspective.. In unity I would easily create scripts that were 1000 lines easy. Once I made a game with a single 5000 line script...that was a nightmare...everything would have dependency issues...I never did finish that one

More of an update part now...
    I wanted to post a video this weekend, we'll see...I am fighting with creating the items...not fighting...just time consuming...been making icons all day...and they are still incomplete..
    here is my huge interface image...wasting some space, but it is WIP
    GUI_player.jpg
    and here is a big dual monitor shot...working across multiple scipts can be a PITA...but python is pretty straightforward...I guess?? lol
    gui_work.jpg
    Last edited by JustinBarrett; 05-Aug-17 at 12:15.

I have been holding off posting any new videos, because I wanted a more feature complete addition to show off...this is clearly taking some time...and will take even longer, as there are a lot of sub systems that need to work off of the inventory...as I've stated...inventory, buying/selling and quests will all be tied in with the inventory system...but enough rambling...here is a short video(note the mouse is there, I just do not have the in game mouse pointer integrated yet)

For some reason it reminds me of Ultima, no new or old development.
    anime, manga, blender3d

Ah I know the old games...The only ultima I actually played was U9..ascension...when they did 3d..it was a lot less like unltima I think...but how would I know? it was the only one I played

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast