Does an Add-on already exist for generatinga parts list?

Is there already an add-on for generating parts lists?

E.g. making something out of wood 2x4’s of various lengths and modeling it in blender first, is there a way to generate/export a parts list something like:

[Object name] [Object Dimensions]

Consolidate by spreadsheet into e.g.
Desc Qty
2x4x28 6
2x4x52 1
etc.

The idea seems simple and useful, so it’s hard to believe it hasn’t been done.

might be possible if you add a custom var on each object to ID it
then you can list these for export

happy bl

Every object in Blender already has these 2 properties: Name and Dimensions.

But to my experience with machining, the Dimension you want is probably a bit more complicated than just the Length, Width and Height.

About Quantity, you could count similar objects based on objects’ name. Might need to do some trick identifying the names because each Object in Blender has to have a unique name.

Though, if you use linked-duplicate for all objects that are the same, you could do a name check for the [MESH] linked with each object, [MESH] name will remain the same if you use linked-duplication, in fact, if you edit one of the object’s mesh, all other object that has the same [MESH] name will also change after you exit the edit mode. They all point toward a single mesh.

I recently just published an addon that helps naming objects, maybe it can be useful for you. See the gumroad linked inside my signature. It’s currently free to download.

I could imagine a really simple list that cuts the .001 .002 suffixes off objects, and then counts them. That would work as long as you rename objects when you change them. (so when you scale a 2x4x52 you should remember to modify the name as well)

You don’t even need to cut off the .001 or .005 to count them…

Python is a very robust language.

It can simply do this:

i = 0
for obj in context.selected_objects:
    if 'Cube' in obj.name:
        i += 1

print(i)

Everything is possible, just not many people actually have the ideas AND at the same time has the dedication & freedom to make it happen.

So, an existing Add-on with this sort of feature doesn’t “jump out” to people on this forum.

Thanks!

Due to poor job queue management, I am up against a deadline on my wood-working task, But if I ever come back to make something along these lines, I’ll post it here!