Rust metal procedural

Reference image:

I wanted to create a procedural texture for rusty metal, but I ended up with this unrealistic rust texture. I followed a tutorial on youtube, and that was actually a good tutorial, but somewhere I messed up. What is an easy and a good way to make a realistic looking rust texture?

I know nothing about how to create a custom texture. I learned just a wee bit about procedural texture from that tutorial but not enough to tweak little changes. Is it too much trial and error or is there some sort of basic about procedural textures?

With procedural - it’s all about experimentation i’m afraid.

There are quite a few threads around here that deal with cycles materials and procedural textures and patterns. These are more general ones - but if you search for keywords (like “rust”) i’m sure many more will come up. You could also search on blendswap and take a look at the node setups people have used.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?346786-Procedural-Patterns-What-is-possible

In terms of your rust - it doesn’t look too bad to me. I’d say the bump is a little too strong on the rusty parts and that’s what may be contributing to the fake look. Also - I think the metal parts of the bell could be a little less rough and perhaps have a bit of variation (in both colour and roughness). The grey just looks too uniform.

Without seeing the node setup or having the file though - it’s difficult to offer much more advice.

one thing, that rust would NEVER occur in the real world. think about weather, where is the bell more likely to get hit by water. not in patches at least…

probably more rust on the bands, and more rust on the front and back, than there would be in the areas close to the walls.

also, likely more rust the further down you go.

it also looks like i can snap that chain with my hands. make it a lot thicker.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check those and experiment a bit more.

Can you explain the front and back part a bit?

https://gyazo.com/5f93b1ece877d243add6f4d8b670841c

the hotter it is, the more likely it is to contain rust.

cause those areas are most exposed to weather. and the band things are more likely to contain rust cause they hold moisture for longer.

There is of course the argument that the bell doesn’t look realistic because it is in fact made from Bronze and as such, wouldn’t rust at all :smiley:

that is also something to take into consideration… reserach the material you are using.