Speed control on scen strip not affecting audio?

I am using a speed control track to change the speed of a scene strip. But the audio is not affected. Is that possible to do?
I use keyframes for controlling the speed and in the f-curves panel there is a sound-icon that shows “Does f-curve contribute to the result” as tooltip. Sounds right, but clicking it does not seem to change anything?

Speed effect does not control audio. You can use the Audio Strip’s Pitch value to speed up the sound.

Ok, thanks. I was worried that was the case. I am speeding up parts of footage really fast and then let it go back to normal. Must be difficult to use pitch to get the audio to sync.
But what does the little button in the f-curves mean then?

The sound icon is used elsewhere in Blender to show if the keyframe curve is active or broadcasting its result. You can mute the curve by turning it off.

And, “a very-little of that sort of thing, goes a very-long way … the wrong way.” (IMHO.™) Unless you are trying to simulate, say, a piece of movie-film on “fast forward,” I suggest that the narration should not be sped up, too. Instead, first figure out how the video is going to play out, then insert an audio track that is appropriately timed to it. “Fast video” will disrupt the viewer’s ability to understand what he sees. “Fast audio” would do the same to what he hears, and if you do both of these things at the same time, you’ve just lost your audience … however briefly. And I just don’t think that’s a good idea.

Of course you can also slow down the sound. Which I do quite a lot at work. You may find that the speed up and slow down are hard to match and don’t make sense anyway. Why not ramp up to random high speed sound effect then ramp back into the regular speed audio at the end. No one will be able to tell that the effect in the middle doesn’t really match.

@3PointEdit
I will try with the pitch. You are right that its not important that it matches during the high-speed.
Out of curiosity, is it a technical reason the sound is not sped up? Would it be possible to bind the audio to the “speed-factor”?

@sundialsvc4
Yeah thanks for the advice, I guess the effect I want is somewhat similar to old movie-projectors. I need to do some fastforwarding through some of the footage, especially with the attentionspan on the web.
The literary reference goes over my head, american book?

I didn’t make a literary reference, I don’t think. You can easily find or make a “fast-forward movie” sound-effect and simply use that clip where needed. No one will know or care.