Decay

Hey guys, here’s my latest work, “Decay” I hope you like it! You can find a higher resolution version of it here.

I feel like I’ve been working on this project forever, so I’m looking forward to moving on to new things. Looking back, It’s really not that many hours, just spread out over a long time. So many iterations on the environment have happened, but I think I’m finally happy with it.

Thanks to Kevin, Rico, Doug, Lily, Seth, Bethany and the Blender discord for feedback throughout, much appreciated as always.

Software/Tools/Resources Used: Blender 2.79 Experimental, Cycles, Photoshop, Substance Painter, Quixel, Poliigon, CMV, Gaffer, Filmic

4 Likes

I just noticed your image made the banner on CGTalk (that is no easy feat to achieve due to the very high standards).

Literally, the only thing I can pick out is that there’s a slight texture mismatch in the bricks by the far right window, everything else is about perfect.

hello Eggyolk,
very interesting render here. a lot is going on , and a lot of details , i can sense the huge effort u put in this project.
my only concern is the ivy leaves…seems to uniform ( shapes and color )
u may too look to references of rust distribution…but it’s just a detail !
keep the good work

I like it very much, but nobody mentioned the windows.
Considering the state of this vehicle they should be very dirty.
All the rest looks great including the background.

Wow awsome work,
I love the rustiness of the car.

Nitpicking aside, the only thing that really stands out are the tyres. Particularly the rear one. If it was that flat, the sidewalls would be far more deformed against the ground instead of just being chopped off.

Here a reference shot of a flat high-profile tyre from roughly the same angle.

That was the only thing that really caught my eye. Anything else is stuff you’d have to be pretty keen to hunt for. For instance, the panel line around the bonnet is a bit too tight for reality but that’s not immediately noticeable.

The overall effect is very good. Nice work.

Not sure how I feel about the puddle, something seems off

Nice render and cool story!
street sign from german: “keep escape route clear!”
Could be after war, zombie apocalypse or nuclear addident…who knows!?

to much roughness for a still water.

nice, its like you can almost reach out and touch it.

damn good work… now i feel like a noop… can u maybe gimme some hints because of verts, memory etc, the whole scene has?