Photobucket becomes the latest site to yank images off the web

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

In short, Photobucket has made changes to the free account tier so you can no longer hotlink unless you pay nearly 400 dollars a year. They have always imposed various limitations on those using the site for free, but now it’s borderline useless and feels like a trial (its only purpose is to get you on that paid tier).

Like Imageshack before it, it means that hundreds or even thousands of threads on various online forums and blogs will no longer have any images (robbing said thread of anything of interest or use whatsoever). I imagine for instance that with this latest move, the archives of this forum will be of little use because much of the visual information will be gone.

For now, people can still freely hotlink images from sites such as Imgur, PostIMG, FlickR, and Dropbox (but as with everything free, you take a risk and the companies have all rights to add restrictions if they’re not making enough revenue).

Too bad Theory Send was nothing more than a flash in the pan, but I’ve used postIMG and it’s decent enough for the purpose of linking to forums, for now.

whats wrong with the forum attachment system?

I created this Friday evening! YES! Friday! before you posted this damn message!

I was going to post it as a ‘Competing’ entry but the fact is I care about the WC to much to be doing this kind of BS on purpose. But it was my attempt at trying to make people see the message we are trying to convey with our images is the most important thing!!!

Title: The Promised Land

If what I think you are saying in your ******* hidden message is true then this has been a big factor in why I haven’t done anything! STOP TRYING TO TEST ME! I have felt like requesting all my images be deleted as well because of this! FYI This would be the only reason I would feel like my images should be deleted!!!

There’s nothing wrong with it other than the stringent 3-image limit per post, but there are thousands of threads on this forum that date back to before attachments were even possible (and the new photobucket change even affects long-running mega-threads such as the one about Cycles).

3dbi; I have no idea what you’re trying to say here. A hidden message? I must be pretty good at those apparently because even I don’t know what they are :rolleyes:

Most image sharing sites offered free services at start. And after sometime they charge money.