Horse

Every adventurer needs a horse. It’s a staple of any fantasy tale. Whether the horse is an actual companion character of the story, or just a side note. So, after completing my work with Real Illusions I felt that making a horse to match the knights we had been creating would be a good way to bid that project a true farewell.

Currently I’m still working on painting the texture and completing the rig. Any notes about it are welcome though!

Resources and References used

• Images of horses and horse anatomy
  • various Horse pictures off of Pixabay to create the texture

I think the edge flow around the horse neck, chest and hind leg where it meets the rest of the body is a bit off. It looks a bit stiff and rather like a pony than a fully grown individual. Also, the hind leg joint that points backwards is a bit too low in the height position. I would try to adjust these things if still possible. Try to look at 2D drawing tutorials that show the anatomical relations. I learned to model horses that way. The texture itself is very good so far. Try to improve those points and it will look very well for sure (=

I love the coat texture, it looks very realistic. Something about the head looks off, I think it might be that the musculature is less detailed than the rest of the body. Perhaps try looking at the anatomy of a horse face, so that you can sculpt the face to match the anatomy more accurately. I’m excited to see the progress on this, it’s coming along very nicely so far!

Thanks! That is great feedback I will see about getting better references I’m sure for a horse that won’t be difficult, and try out drawing it like you suggested.

I can definitely see that, I will give the head more focused sculpting and try to get that detail up. Thank you for helping me with this, it is really appreciated.

The overall looking is good, I like the details of anatomy, the textures, hair etc.
Glancing at it without any reference (nor competence), I would elongate the torso just a bit, something like this (maybe less):

paolo

1 Like

That looks like a great suggestion! I will see about implementing that for improvement.