offset problem

Hello
I know this is an old problem, but I cannot find any reasonable answer, so I ask this:
Is there a automatically way to ‘outset’/‘offset’ an object (letter converted to mesh) as in the right side in the picture attached (made by hand)? (I mean, a contour not self intersecting)
thanks

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

Short answer: No. Not currently.

perhaps a longer answer might help?
how would you do that?
thank you

could try going inwards instead of out

Text converted to mesh, duplicate of that offset from curve properties, converted to mesh and joined, both sets of edges moved with offset edges addon to get the original thickness.

Not great but shows two options. Converting text/curve to mesh usually takes some cleanup and I removed doubles with increased merge distance before moving them. Vector drawing program might do a better job with insetting/outsetting, although at least Inkscape has similar problems with difficult shapes as Blender would. Svg from those imports as curves in Blender.

got the same problem (with ‘curve offset’)

Obviously

Switching the order of things doesn’t remove the problem, but might make it easier to clean it up

Inkscape does it all right.
so the fastest solution until now is doing the offset in Inkscape. Could Blender compete to this?

extrude along path in 1dscripts

thnaks
I installed 1dscripts, but i don’t know how to use it, got some error.
please help. Blender 2.78