3D LUT Creator

I saw this on YouTube Ads and it seems very powerful to me. Very innovative concept.
https://3dlutcreator.com/

perhaps it could also be used to create LUTS for Blenders Color Management.

This looks very useful.
Some info found at nvidia

https://developer.nvidia.com/gpugems/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter24.html

It would be incredibly useful for Blender’s color-management panel to have visual CDL controls for use with Filmic (because they are considered the only correct way to modify the Filmic transform, and yet the only way to do that is to write something akin to code and save to a special file type).

Complete rubbish. If you choose to create a custom look you can add it to the config.ocio. Otherwise just use the CDL node like everyone else does.

The key here is to interactively tweak the transform while the render is in progress (currently, Blender has no concept of piping the current in-progress result through the compositor and into the render window).

Sorry, but the idea of having to wait until rendering is finished to see the final result drives me nuts (and just because there’s a ‘standard’ way of doing things by no means requires it to remain the only way, ideas to make a better way is not allowed). Though if Blender had the ability I mentioned in the first sentence, then we may not even need a color-management panel (I would gladly drop the request then).

And when I mentioned typing something akin to code, I mean what is in the code tags in this post (looks very similar with its indentations and blocks).

. . . and that’s how you add your custom look to the config.ocio. You clearly haven’t understood the rest of that discussion, or how to use the ASC CDL node.

The point I was making, again, is to not have to finish or cancel the render before using anything resembling the CDL (I know the compositor has a color balance node with an ASC-CDL mode, but the render has to finish or be canceled before you see a result that uses it).

Clearly we don’t have to be offended at a suggestion because it doesn’t match our opinion of “the way”. Blender cannot grow as a production 3D application if we dictate what features can and can’t be requested and discussed.

Again. Here is the point you were making, quoted from the incorrect statement you posted. Your claim is wrong, in fact and philosophy. You shouldn’t try to rewrite history to avoid apologising when you’re obviously wrong.

It’s ok to go ahead and admit you don’t know how to use the colour management tools that have been implemented, and didn’t understand the discussion you are now criticising.

It’s even ok to ask for help in understanding the discussion and how to use the tools.

:yes: :smiley:

One look in Blender’s color management folder shows the LUT files have the extension .spi3d, does that not count as a special file type?

Also, from what I understood, adding a CDL to be used via the color management panel is indeed text-based and while it doesn’t look like classic C++ code, it does have some resemblance to HTML/CSS code.

From the thread (if this doesn’t even resemble a type of code, what is it then)?

- !<ColorSpace>
    name: CDL SunFix Test
    family:
    equalitygroup:
    bitdepth: 32f
    description: |
      CDL transform test.
    isdata: false
    allocation: lg2
    allocationvars: [-12.473931189, 12.526068813]
    from_reference: !<GroupTransform>
        children:
            - !<AllocationTransform> {allocation: lg2, vars: [-12.473931189, 12.526068813]}
            - !<FileTransform> {src: desat65cube.spi3d, interpolation: best}
            - !<AllocationTransform> {allocation: uniform, vars: [0, 0.67]}
            - !<CDLTransform> {slope: [1.200, 1.166, 1.000]}
            - !<CDLTransform> {offset: [0.00, 0.00, 0.00]}
            - !<CDLTransform> {power: [1, 1, 1.5]}
    to_reference: !<AllocationTransform> {allocation: lg2, vars: [-12.473931189, 4.026068813], direction: inverse}

Now I honestly don’t know why you seem to be against adding a visual and artist-friendly way to do something like that via the color management panel (allowing for tweaks while the render is in progress). The old guard of the Blender community used to be opposed to (or tried to argue against) such features like Ngons, raytracing, and GI (until they were added of course, raytracing even had its detractors for a while after the implementation). I think it’s possible the same thing could occur here (people quickly coming to use it and liking it).