Blender spartan warrior animation practice ,begginer journey :Update 20 July

I will make more animation practice with this character that a made ,so I will update this thread with feature animations

The motions feel a little slow. You need to smooth the motions a bit more.

Walk animation,the transition its not smooth but iam still learning,I need to look up more on the NLA editor,any tips?

Well from the video, Keep the camera sitting at one spot facing forward at the model. Next, have the model to walk in one spot. Don’t make it move forward yet. Also, it would be better for the chest to move so it won’t feel so stiff. When you are walking or running, what ever foot that leads, the opposite side matches. For example, when you step with your left foot, your right arm swings forward and vice versa. Take a chance and look at some walk cycles online both on a diagram and on video to get a better understanding.

@xeroshadow wow thanks you for the tips I really appreciate
Man animation its hard even watching a tutorials :slight_smile: ! But I decided to learn I have all the summer for this so no 3d modeling or anything else just learning animation:D
Sorry for the English

Another animation
Walk and sword pick up

And run animation

It’s an improvement on the run cycle. As far as revealing the sword from the back, it feels “staggered”. It’s not as smooth as it should be. Here’s another tip. If you have a camera, record yourself puling a stick from behind your back and pay attention to how you move. Next, upload the video on Blender and block the animation out. After that, smooth out the key frames to get a smoother motion.

Nice tomorrow I will upload my new animation and after that I will use video references , when you mean smooth the key frames you mean from dope sheet and graph editor?

Yes. You will have to clean up the animation from the Dope Sheet and Graphic Editor.

New animation

Pretty good, but still on the slow side. You have to ask yourself just exactly how long would it take you to sit down and pour yourself a drink? Speed it up a little.

Xeroshadow many thanks for the feedback its really help me to understand my mistakes

I had to learn from my mistakes the same way. As long as it helps.

New back flip animation

The flip is too slow. You have to speed things up. Find a reference on someone doing a back flip and try again.

New fight animation

Is this better in terms of speed balance?

It feels like it, but there’s something about the guy with the hammer jumping. As you can see, it feels floaty. It’s better if you record yourself performing the movements so you can retroscope them in Blender. In fact, it’s a very important practice in animation.

Take a look at this video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrukT6dBUY

From here, you can see that it was acted out in real life before it was animated in their 3d program of choice. To paraphrase a line from a book I read in the past, next to corrupt politicians and athletes doping with drugs, animators are the biggest “cheaters” in the world.

In my opinion something more is missing than just the speed, the movements seems to choreographed, they don’t seem natural, and I’m not just talking about the speed, the movements feel wrong, like pulling out the sword, the movement is too perfect, when you think about it, you’re getting in a fight your adrenaline is pumping, the movement is not going to be perfect its going to be ruff, with not a perfect arc…
same thing for the drinking scene, the movements are again to perfect, would you get over the bench like that? probably not, you’ll be more fluid take less stable poses to go faster.
here is my small critique

otherwise, excellent job