Working with multiple armatures

I’ve got 2 armatures in my figure - one for general movement, the other to manipulate eye movement. And while both independently work just fine, I need to somehow parent the eye armature to the main armature to allow for head movement. So far, I haven’t had any luck searching for an answer. Has anyone managed to accomplish this or something similar?

Thanks in advance!
David

Hi,

I don’t usually work with multiple armatures for the same character - my advice would be to merge them into one, but if you want for some reason to keep them separated, I think it’s just a matter of constraining (childOf) the eye root bone to the head root bone. Unless of course you’ve got lattices or other deformers into the mix that might disturb the geometry of the head, which you’d have to account for in your eye rig.

Hadrien

Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

You are correct - and that’s my main problem with having to use multiple armatures. I’m having to use a lattice for the eyes, and if I did a JOIN of the eye objects into the main body object then the lattice won’t work anymore, and I get a character with ‘buggy’ eyes :smiley:

In looking into how to have a bone of the main armature be a parent to another bone in the ‘sub-armature’ for the eyes (or maybe even be a parent to the entire sub-armature) I’ve so far been unable to find a method to do this. While in the edit mode for the main armature, Blender is unable to ‘see’ the sub-armature, so I’m unable to choose any bones to parent to.

And as you say, I’ll have to have a way to also include the lattice as part of the system and make sure it will translate along with the eyes whenever the head is moved (I didn’t think of that- thanks)… I’ll have to look into that, too.

David