How would you define a good rythm for animations ?

Hi !

I’ve been using Blender for some time now to make characters and stuff in order to use them in Unity. So far, I’ve never been really satisfied with my animations. I don’t know exactly how to pin what is missing but I feel that it has something to do with the rythm. I’ve never really succeded in making my characters feeling explosive, dynamic. Everything seems slacky.

Hence the question: How do you make these animation punchy ? Do you use exotic interpolation such as exponential or it is more with the frame? Does the animation has to be completely determined or can the speed at which it is played in game cover for some inconsistencies ?

Thanks in advance.

(This is one project on which I’m working).

Hi Mehd,

my advice is to look at good animation, and you’ll progressively understand intuitively what the great principles are. I’d talk about framings and cuts as well but you work on an isometric beat-them-all which has none of that, so animation-wise, watch the overwatch short films. They are big action sequences with awesome rythm, the perfect examples to follow.

Hadrien