Can not apply softbody modifier to lattice

Hello! Can anybody help please ((

1. I am using lattice with softbody simulation to create proper deformation on high-poly mesh (mesh is tied with lattice via lattice deform modifier). Lattices are great for non-destructive editing and having softbody sims on lattices make them even more great.

2. After setting all parameters and animating softbody to the state i need, i going to lattice`s modifiers tab to apply softbody modifier and finalize lattice in the state i need.

3. But here is the problem - softbody can`t apply himself to lattice! Neither completely neither as shape key. The error “Can not apply modifier to this object state”.

How i can get lattice in the state i need? I don`t want to stay at “right frame” forever, “at the end of the day” i just need lattice nicely tranformend with sofbody sims at first frame of the timeline.

Copy/Paste does not help either // Any advise welcome.

You can’t.
But you can try a mesh instead with a mesh deform modifier or a surface deform modifier in next version 2.79.

ya, im pretty sure its not possible, but you can get the same basic effect with a mesh deform modifier…

1, duplicate the mesh you want to be “soft”, make this duplicate only rendered in wireframe mode (for convenience)
2, decimate the new mesh to make it pretty low poly (while keeping the main details)
3, scale the newly decimated mesh so it sits like a “cage” around the outside of the original mesh (the original mesh should be FULLY inside this cage)
4, add a mesh deform modifier to the original object, and select the cage as the source, then select a precision level (default should mostly be fine) and hit BIND.
5, now the verts of the “cage” should move the verts on the original based on proximity, so add a softbody modifier to the cage and its basically done… tweak your softbody as required and you should have a very light softbody system that can effect a pretty high res mesh while being as non destructive as a lattice

(think of this solution as a “custom lattice”, thats basically what it is.)