Better UVwarp ?

Hi Guys

This problem is really headache. Using blender UV is unstable for me. I can’t get good result for even a Cone. How to solve this issue ? How to get good UV map ?

I would recommend learning to use it before using it. You should really put more effort into it if you want to learn 3d. A lot more effort will be needed in everything that you are going to learn and if you cannot solve problems simple as this by yourself, you are going to fail. Google is a good place to start. You should have tried searching for something like ‘UV in Blender’.

Anyway… You need to select the edges you want to be seems and mark them as seems by presing ctrl+e, then a to mark as seems(in edit mode) then hit a to deselect and a one more time to select all and unwrap by presing u twice.

no magic was done here, its just a matter of placing the seams in the right place.

UV mapping is trial and error. Start adding seams and unwrap, check results, rinse and repeat. Don’t worry about screwing up your old UVs. They can be rebuilt as many times as necessary. Keep it moving.

Thank you all of you.
Yes. I know all this. But I thought maybe there is something more easier like Add-On can help me to get good shape of UV map.
Anyway, I will work on this. Thank you Guys.

Are you applying scale before unwrap, very important (CTRL A). Instead of ‘unwrap’ use the ‘smart uv project’, this will get any model started. Good results for machinery and whatnot, increase the island margin a little to avoid edge bleeding. Human faces and other tasks favor the ‘unwrap’.

The cone and the cylinder leave magic to be desired. You could create a simple grid from the torus uvs using e. g. UvSquares. And the cone’s uv shape could be 2 discs. Acutally Blender 2.79 does it exactly this way when you select “Create UVs” after adding these primitives.

Okay. this is new to me. :slight_smile: Good.
These steps really bad. Devs should solve this issues and Come up with new ideas shifting time and steps. What can i say :spin: !!
Thank you FoP.

you may like this one

also no, never use the smart unwrap, a computer is stupid, it cant produce a nice looking UV map. place seams manually for a better result.

Really bad compared to what? This is actually very easy and convenient once you learn how it is used. Many other 3d software packages do not use saved seams as Blender does. If you learned it first and then had a look at how it’s done in packages like Maya or 3ds Max, you would find that Blender’s workflow can easily compete with them. You could criticize the algorithms used for unwrapping and packing of the UVs - they could use some improvement, but one can definitely argue that the workflow itself is solid.

I think you should not rush to complain and take your time to understand it first. I think it is likely that what is really bad at the moment is actually your skills in using the tools. This is a whole different problem and realizing this would be very helpful for you, because this realization also implies that YOU are able to solve this problem yourself without any action required from the developers.

Thank you. I will try them.

smart unwrap is good. at less it gives nice frame of the object.
But now i need to use UV wrap for my models.

Man, calm down.
I didn’t compared Blender with any other program on the world. Blender providing many features to the hobby and pro. What i meant is the method to reach something on blender sometime takes many steps. And they can improve and simply it. You don’t want to see something new ? I’m working on my own game. I needed to use blender to make some robots and aliens shapes. I made some of them. not that profession work but acceptable for me. because the high number of faces and edges i had to MARK several numbers of edges to get good shape of UV map. But I couldn’t get it in simple way. I had to change the size, moving some verticals and more things. For me as a new to blender. This is difficult. Take this for example.

Just after marked some edges and warp it. I get good shape of uv map but all faces are different. some is small other bigger ! this is my point. Sorry if I bothered you. No need to mess your day. Just relax and open you heart to life. With time things get better.

It might be that the eastern European manner of speaking I am used to might be a bit misleading. I suspect I might sometimes sound a bit rude or attacking because of our cultural differences while actually I am not experiencing any emotions regarding the subject and it is not my intention to be offensive. I really mean what I am saying. I think you should compere it to other software to see that it is really currently one of the best ways to do it.

A lot of edge selection tools are available to you to make the process of selecting the seams easier. You can ctrl+click to select loops, or select two edges and call specials menu with w and then choose select shortest path by hitting c (this has lots of options in f6 menu or in the t panel), also shift+g selection menu will let you select similar edges to the selected ones by many different properties, you can also select regions of faces with any tools like box selection (b) or circle select (c) or select linked flat faces (alt+ctrl+shift+f) and then select the boundary loop of the selection from the selection menu in the header of the 3d view…

Oh, and also it’s sometimes helpfull to model stuff keeping in mind the UV unwraping that is about to be done later on this way you can make life easy for yourself. You can select the seams while modelling, or make it easy to select them later.