Texturing with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer

What is the todays standard for texturing in 3D models as a indie person? Would it be Substance Painter in combination with other image manipulation programs such CSS or AP? Or could be solely done in Affinity Photo? I know I’m not being straightforward with my question. But basically to what my question stems to is “Is Affinity good enough program for texturing extremely good quality 3D models ranging from hard-surface to organic and bio-organic?” And as complete beginner to texturing I was wondering where should I start looking for good documentation regarding this topic? I don’t want to come here often asking too many questions, I know how to 3D model and UV unwrap really good actually, and I’m no longer stranger to Cycles rendering engine.

However, when it comes to principals and theory of colors, shading etc. associated with texturing, I’m a complete stranger. I have worked a little bit in Affinity Photo, watching tutorials from Affinities official site. And I am aware that before diving into texturing I should first grasp ins and out of the software that I’m using. But I also know that blender has texturing abilities. So yeah… there’s a lot of stuff I have to wrap my head around. It’s my fault I haven’t started doing texturing years ago.

Hi,

Sure it is, bought it a few months ago for the exact purpose of working with textures. I am still learning AP, love working in it as opposed to photoshop. I do some photo editing on the side also.
Not sure what else I can say, not sure what your needs are.
Do visit the forum over there, I do see 3D artist in the forums asking questions.
I am in the process of looking for texture generating plugins for AP/PS, if I find any I’ll post links here.

Hope I helped some.

The best solution for texturing 3D models nowadays is Substance painter. The Affinity apps are great but only for working on 2D imagery. Of course, someone may use them in working on the 2D aspect of texture producing, but when it comes to applying the textures on the 3D objects Substance painter is without equal. It is true that there are some alternatives to Substance, as are 3D Coat and Quixel but if someone will put down and examine carefully the quality-price balance of all of them he will see that Substance will prevail as the winner.

Ok, got it. While it’s still beneficial to know how to texture using programs such as Affinity Photo or Photoshop, simply put Substance Painter is the way to go given its advantages over the traditional methods.

if you don’t have substance painter, watch some vids and download 30 day trial. Right now they are running a sale(til like 29) on indie license. I myself have been looking at substance painter the last few days and I downloaded trial yesterday.