Simple Render Automation for a Novice

Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question - I know my way round Blender but know nothing about Python. I need to create a script that will move the UVs on an object 10 pixels to the right, then render an image with a sequential number. I know it sounds like that would be an obvious case for just animating the UVs and doing it as a standard animation, but the nature of the scene means I can’t do it that way. It needs to have the same UVs for all frames, render; change UVs for all frames, render, and so on, up to a total of about 912 sequential images.

Can anyone show me how to do it?

Thanks!

Does it have to be pixels? could it be a percentage of the UV area?

do you have/can you make a simplified test file to give us a better sense of what you are trying to do?

It’s a recreation of the slit-scan technique used for 2001 or the Doctor Who title sequence:

While pulling back, the camera takes a 100-frame exposure through a stationary slit of a background that’s moving left, creating an effect like this:

The background is then advanced slightly and another exposure is taken. Because its motion is already keyframed, it’s easier to do the advancing by simply moving the UVs slightly right rather than shifting the whole background and changing the keyframes.

That can’t be animated because each rendered image actually involves 100 frames of camera and background motion, independent of the UVs.

So, once it’s set up, there’s a manual reset between each render which involves moving the UVs and then pressing F12. Which is obviously really tedious and slow for 100s of images. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

so, is the goal to combine those 100 frames into one exposure, then running each of the 100 frame exposures in sequence to create an animation?

Yes, exactly!

Never apologise for asking a question. Even it sounds stupid to you.

Why not put a tiling texture on a plane and animate the camera ? You can choose images as the form of rendering animation.