mGear Rigging framework for Blender - Any port ?

Hi !
Anyone has some info if there is a port of mGear -by Miquel Campos- for Blender ?

mGear: Rigging framework for Autodesk Maya

mGear provides a set of convenient modules, tools and c++ solvers to streamline the development of rigging and animation tools.
MGEAR is under the terms of the MIT License

Thx in advance :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard of that, porting maya plugins to blender isn’t easy or straightforward …
Can you give more infos on what features it provide ? There may be some features in blender already, or maybe some things are doable through addons ?
Cheers !

Hi !
Is open source, that’s another reason why I ask.
[video]https://vimeo.com/groups/mgear/videos/118387358[/video]

Let me copy all intro doc. Thx in advance.

What is mGear?
mGear is a rigging framework for Autodesk Maya. mGear provides a set of convenient modules, tools and c++ solvers to streamline the rigging process.

Is mGear a modular rigging system
?

mGear can be considered a framework/tool to build rigging and animation tools. Out of the box, mGear comes with one modular rigging system called “Shifter” . Shifter is a modular rigging system build on top of mGear. Shifter is just one possible approach to design modular rigging system and can coexist with other rigging paradigms build on top of mGear.

Is mGear providing animation tools?

For the moment mGear only provides the “synoptic” view, as a tool specially designed for the animators. Although mGear rigs should be compatible with any other Autodesk Maya animation tool. Like MGtools, poseLib or studioLibrary.

Will be always free and open source?

Yes!

Who can use mGear?

mGear is for everybody who needs to create a rig. For example riggers and animators without programming knowledge can use it out of the box to generate an infinite variety of rigs combinations. TDs with Python and C++ knowledge can also extend the functionality and adapt it to her/his needs/pipeline.

Why mGear use custom solvers instead of Maya standard solvers?

The default components provide with mGear are using custom solvers to simplify the rig construction encapsulating complex functionality and improve the playback performance.

Does mGear have the same functions/tools of Gear Softimage?

No, mGear doesn’t have all the functions that Gear has. Some of the functions will be implemented in the future, some of them never will be implemented. It depends if the tool can be applied to Maya workflow and philosophy.

Why Gumroad for mGear distribution, isn't it free?

Yes, mGear is a free and open source under MIT License terms. But Gumroad provides a simple way to know who is downloading mGear, so I can contact you for future upgrades and bug fixes.

More information and tutorials at: www.miquel-campos.com

MGear is a pretty good plugin, Maya has no native solution for rigging (apart from HumanIk wich is rather limited).
However, in Blender there are already some nice rigging tools: Rigify, Pitchipoy , Blenrig and not to mention my own addon Auto-Rig Pro. So would it be really helpful to port it into Blender?

Thanks so much for the comments.
Is information that helps me a lot to continue learning.
Very appreciated :smiley: