Is Blender the right tool for this project?

Hi!

I am new to this forum and I am looking to get some info regarding Blender, on a project we want to do at our company.

We sell POD (Print-on-demand) products and we are looking at new ways to mockup footage of our products. Because the products are POD, shooting real video is obviously not always the option, especially because we have 1000’s of sellers on out platform.

Anyways, we recently came across this site: https://placeit.net/c/apparel/stages/pretty-girl-at-a-rooftop-wearing-a-round-neck-t-shirt-mockup-video-a13524 …and basically that’s what we want to do.

We want to overlay a custom design over a video, with a blank product in it. It’s not just shirts, we have other products too, like necklaces, mugs, etc.

Now, what I am wondering, if Blender is the right way to go with this? After doing some google-ing, viewing some videos on YT, lead me to Blender and camera/3d mapping, which let me to this forum :).

I am just looking for some feedback on this, if this is possible to do with Blender (or if you have any other suggestions), so we can then go ahead and see if we can get someone, to work with us on a project like this.

Thank you for any feedback and info!

• Primoz

Yes, this is trivial to do in blender, especially if you are just trying to overlay an image onto video footage. The alternative is to use something like After Effects, which has a hefty price tag.

Should not be a problem however instead of calling blender.exe to render with your new image, which might be easiest option of all, you could also do UV map/ST map pass just ONCE and later for each image process that either in blender(comp) or ideally with performance in mind custom written highly accelerated application that remaps image pixels to XY coords of UV map. Just a thought with batch processing and performance in mind.

Another option would be Fusion or Natron.

I need to admit that i have never yet used Blend4web, but maybe ( i say, maybe ) theres something to look at ? For showcasing and other things like that.

When i see how some site who use Blend4web for showcase and interactive design ( for let say shoes, ( interactively choose colors, choose material, shapes ( leather, tissue, etc )… i dont see what cant be done with images printing, text or whatever the same way.

Here’s a solution:

1. Generate UV map with some app that tracks (e.g Blender, Natron, Fusion)
  2. Unified Distortion Image: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/mapping/#distortion_unified