Large scenes viewport performance

I’ve tried looking for the answer but I’m not sure if they are out of date

I’m currently working with a lot of scenes that are huge. Mainly from grass and trees. For examples 10million faces with added 3 million grass blades.

Moving around the viewport can be painful, and I have dual Xeon e5 2670 and 32gb of ram (I don’t think the bottleneck is RAM here when looking at how much my pc is using). This makes me think the viewport favours higher clock rate rather than core count.
Is this the case? Would the top of the line i7 make for a smoother experience?

Is this the case? Would the top of the line i7 make for a smoother experience?

No, I fear.
Blender greatest disadvantage is view port performance, doesn´t matter on what hardware you are.
You can try to reduce display setting in you particle system to 10-20%.
Next Blender 2.8 should be much better, at least this is the plan.
Don´t know if particles even work in 2.8 but you can test:

Don´t use 2.8 for production, work with copied .blends

Cheers, mib
EDIT: Particles work in 2.8 but materials are quite different, check clay render engine.

Yeah its a shame too. I mean its either xeon or i7. So if that was the case it would be a shame to swap to an i7 just to speed up viewport and have slower renders.
I know its all switching to GPU now anyway and i do have a 1080 which is fast, but for some scenes its just too large to render on a GPU anyway. And if i had an i7, and a large scene, it would be so much slower to render than xeon.

But yes maybe in the future they will update the viewport a bit? I try all the tricks of layers, particle display numbers and allsorts but it only works for so long