Any ideas before i send back my new GTX 1080ti?

I just purchased my new GTX1080ti from overclockers, which stated in the product description that it had 3xdisplay port 1x HDMI and 1x DL DVI. The DVI i specifically needed for my Hazro 2560x1440 monitor which for some unknown reason has only VGA and DVI inputs.

I have been messing around all day with 2 different HDMI to DVI adapters, trying every configuration but this HAZRO monitor absolutely refuses to play ball with any adapter or HDMI cable. Since i have been testing it with my existing video card HD7970, which has all 3 types of outputs… Its odd it will work fine, but soon as i plug in a DVI to hdmi adapter it will only disaply a blank screen.

Im going to search for a Hazro monitor driver to see if that can help but i seriously doubt they even exist or it would do anything.

I want to upgrade to a 4K monitor but also want it to be HDR( do you think its priority to get HDR over a non HDR dispaly?) But the price right now seems a ripoff, especially compared to the big 4K HDR tvs… This would of course solve my problem but im not ready to upgrade yet since this monitor works fine…

For a 2560x1440 monitor you need dual-link DVI, which won’t work with many adapter cables. Don’t you have DVI cable, anyway?

As for HDR: It’s not really much of a thing on PC right now, but looking forward you might want it.

so to clarify. I use this 1440p Hazro monitor with its DVI cable it came with and it works.
The hazro monitor has no driver, the company is useless and nearly impossible to contact. And people are having problems with it going way back to do with nvidia as well as AMD cards not recognizing it properly. The monitor also has no HDMI or display ports.

The 1080ti only has HDMI and Display port outputs.

All attempts by me to use HDMI to DVI adapters have resulted in the monitor displaying a blank screen. I’ve even tried setting windows to run at 1280x720 resolution and then trying the adapter but still no luck.

Only problem is now before i send back the card, i am reading in other help forums about people having problems with nvidia cards and this Hazro monitor…

So it might still not work if i find a 1080ti with a DVI output.

Only other idea i’ve had is to put the 1080ti card in, then boot up on the integrated graphics card, using its DVI cable, and see if i can get windows to see the 1080ti and install the drivers, and then use it simply as a CUDA device in blender, but all the time still running blender and its view ports on my integrated graphics?? until i get a monitor with display port inputs?? But this is probably a terrible idea.

So isnt HDR supposed to display more colors?? or is this really of no use in blender for now or the foreseeable future? would you settle for a non HDR display if you were buying today? The price is so much lower without HDR.

The 1080ti only has HDMI and Display port outputs.

That wasn’t clear. If the card was advertised as having DVI and then it doesn’t have DVI, I’d send it back. Many 1080Ti models have DVI(-D).

Only other idea i’ve had is to put the 1080ti card in, then boot up on the integrated graphics card, using its DVI cable, and see if i can get windows to see the 1080ti and install the drivers, and then use it simply as a CUDA device in blender, but all the time still running blender and its view ports on my integrated graphics?? until i get a monitor with display port inputs?? But this is probably a terrible idea.

That should work fine, if you’re okay with inferior iGPU performance. It’s common to use one GPU for compute and one for display, in order to have a more responsive system.

So isnt HDR supposed to display more colors?? or is this really of no use in blender for now or the foreseeable future? would you settle for a non HDR display if you were buying today? The price is so much lower without HDR.

HDR is about both more colors and a higher contrast (dynamic range). It is pretty neat, you’d have to see it in person. However, support for it on PC is very limited (I haven’t used it myself) right now. I personally wouldn’t spend more money now for a possible benefit in the future. In the future, HDR should be more affordable even on the PC, as more content (games, videos) becomes available and manufacturers supply that market. Right now, it’s more of a professional thing and products are priced accordingly.

Thanks for your advice.

Interesting finding. My integrated Intel HD graphics would not output to my Hazro 2K monitor no matter what. It did not even support the native resolution… Anyway found an old ATI HD6450 card under my bed, and fired that up and it actually outputs to my hazro at full res. But to get to the point the Blender viewport performance was seemingly unaffected. It can only do 2.5 Gpixles/s and 5 GTexels/s. But the viewport performance was totally normal even in a scene with 500k triangles… Its as if viewport performance is artificially limited across all cards. Im now going to try the Nvidia card in the main PCE slot, and see if i can use it purely for CUDA… If it all works ok, i shall keep it and order a 4K monitor, theres an AOC 4K 28" monitor for just £280. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-u2879vf-28-3840x2160-tn-4k-60hz-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-044-ao.html

In order to make the iGPU output, you will usually need to set it as the primary graphics device in the BIOS/UEFI.

I can’t afford to write my usual diatribe on viewport performance right now, but suffice it to say things will change with 2.8 going forward.

As for getting a 4K monitor, get at least one with an IPS panel for color quality, especially since you’re not looking to game.

On monitors, I have no idea what the Hazro brand is. If it’s a cheap off-brand (ie. not a common one like Dell, Samsung, and others), then it’s possible that some standard features would not be supported.

I would also look at IPS monitors if you’re getting a new one, but I have read that LPS ones are pretty decent too.

Hazro was at the time a quality and fairly pricey monitor for what it could do at the time in 2011. Its a 10bit IPS 2560x1440 27" glass panel. However they sacrificed on stand quality, build quality and display port or hdmi inputs, in order to outprice the dell ultra sharps etc.

yea i tried that, having all sorts of issues though. It will not play ball. I can get the integrated graphics to output to my old Dell 720p monitor but that is all. on that attempt trying to get the 1080ti to run just as a cuda card, i got the dreaded code 12 error in device manager, not enough free resources to run the card.

I’ve sent it back now… The thing is even when i booted up on integrated graphics with the 1080ti card in the main PCI slot i was getting a code 12 error not enough free resources… The technical support guy suspected it was not getting enough power draw from my PSU… Even though they recommend a minimum 600w PSU and i have a 650w, i am still cutting it close.
I have checked out the AMD vega today and its benchmark results do not cut it at all in games, but i wonder if it can do any good in blender cycles, and for a lower price than a ti?

Error 12 definitely is not the PSU. Either way, 600W should be plenty with 1 dedicated GPU. Getting a new GPU probably probably won’t fix it, either.

See here for more info on this error. The first thing I’d do would be to reset the BIOS to defaults. Try different PCIe slots, too.

On paper, the Vega should at least match a 1080Ti. In practice, the software (drivers) is apparently so immature, it barely matches a 1070. That’s always been the issue with AMD - what good is it if the hardware is great when they’re so unreliable with drivers?

Again, I wouldn’t buy something today for a possible benefit in the future. The RX Vega isn’t out, prices haven’t been announced, benchmarks haven’t been made. It will probably be better value in terms of raw numbers. Whether it works reliably in practice is another question.

I tried multiple things in the bios like changing the PCI express from gen 1.0 to gen 3.0, i could not try the 1080ti in my other pci slot(crossfire mobo) because the sata slots were literally in the way unless i unplugged all my hdds. Anyways they gave me a refund, this code 12 sounds difficult to fix. But im thinking of getting just a very basic graphics card and using an AMD thread ripper with 32GB or even 64GB of RAM, if i can afford it.