My first project in Blender

Hello! :slight_smile: This is my first project in Blender. I’d like to know what you think I could improve?
Im aware that the model is not 100% authentic when it comes down to every rivet. I mixed and matched parts from different reference images since I wanted to learn how to model certain parts. Im curious what you think could be made better when it comes to lights, materials and so on.

Im aware that it would probably look better if textured in substance painter. But I’m focusing on learning blender atm, that’s enough of a challenge. :yes:

Attachments

Looks very good, you might want to work on the shadows a bit to give it a more “authentic” look. The cartridges look like they are floating.

Hi and Hello,

The overall look is great and very authentical. Textures are fine (thus some issues… see below). The objects is well, highly detailed. Good work.

Now to the issues:

1. The Trigger Guard

The lower and the inner part has “lost” the general texture/colour. (look at the zoom-in)

This maybe a result of Lightning, render and/or UV-mapping. You should controll this part of the mesh.

1. Wooden parts on buttstock and forarm

The general wood-texture and colour is very well and look natural.
The issue shows up on the displacement.

The bevel-parts are shiny without displacement. The top (and other parts) have two different displacements. A slight one for the wood and a strange “orange-skin-like” displacement as if someone failed to varnish correctly with clearcoat.

The effect shows up also here:

But with a somehow more weight to the wood-structure.

Normally those parts of a gun are polished wood. So You see the wooden structure but no displacements.
But (and there is always a but in critics), if You intended to show a restored version of that gun, it might be actzepable.

So it’s upm to You and depends on Your intentions, what You take out of this critics. I would have done some sort of scratchings on the wooden part, because the metall parts are looking like long term used but cured with caution.

I would not change the cartriges, cause they are new (mostly, cause of one-time-usage :slight_smile: )

Hope it helps a bit, to get a seccond point of view on your otherwise really fine work.

Based on the wear, the gun body is old and used but not fired a lot, and the wooden parts have all been replaced.

I concur about the furniture (wooden parts) are too shiny and look too new for the gun . In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen an AK new or used with wood that nice. additionally the fresnel on the wood is off. I would suggest you look at blender guru’s video on pbr materials.

Even though I’ve seen AKs with high gloss wood, especially the red walnut ones, I agree, it looks to new. I wanted to add some darkened edges to it, a few scratches and chipping. But I don’t really have the know-how :-/ The node editor is still a bit abstract to me. I saw that Blenderguru had a tutorial on this, but he is using features only available in a version of blender that’s not released yet. Does anyone have a tip on where to find another good tutorial on this?

Thanks for the constructive criticism! This was the type of response I was looking for! :slight_smile:
The trigger has the dark backside because I, maybe by mistake, guessed it is made from a bent sheet of metal rather than molded from a solid piece. The wood though… Im aware of the somewhat inaccurate bump mapping :-/ This was a desperate attempt to achieving a more interesting look since I don’t know how to add wear and dirt to this kind of image texture. I think I should mix in an image in the node editor and then set it to “add” or something, but I haven’t managed to do that.

Anyway Im glad to hear that it’s an overall OK model :slight_smile: After many hours it’s easy to loose that critical eye.

Edit: I modified the wood parts a bit. I also tweaked the material of the grips to have a more realistic look. Is this better?

Attachments

Thanks for the constructive criticism! This was the type of response I was looking for! :slight_smile:
The trigger has the dark backside because I, maybe by mistake, guessed it is made from a bent sheet of metal rather than molded from a solid piece. The wood though… Im aware of the somewhat inaccurate bump mapping :-/ This was a desperate attempt to achieving a more interesting look since I don’t know how to add wear and dirt to this kind of image texture. I think I should mix in an image in the node editor and then set it to “add” or something, but I haven’t managed to do that.

Anyway Im glad to hear that it’s an overall OK model :slight_smile: After many hours it’s easy to loose that critical eye.

Edit: I modified the wood parts a bit. I also tweaked the material of the grips to have a more realistic look. Is this better?