Is it important to parent objects before rigging?

I have seen that I can rig a character also without parenting the objects between them, like, for example, shoes with legs.
So, to have a nice rigging, is it needed to parent objects before rigging? What are the disadvantages to not doing it?

You can parent the object to the appropriate rig bone, like shoes to foot bone for example, it all depends on what you are building and what you are going to do with it animation-wise. You haven’t shown us what you are doing so i can only guess and offer non-specific answers.

Cheers, Clock.

Short answer: no.

What you’re talking about is parenting one object (shoe) to another object (leg) but the bones in a rig end up as the parents. An armature is a special kind of object where the armature is like a container into which you put bones. Each of the bones can be parent to other bones as well as object(s) or just part of an object (which is done with weight-painting). The process of rigging is what creates these relationships.

Not so much a disadvantage, it would just be needless work to parent the objects to one another just to have those relationships tossed aside when the rig is built.

To better understand the whole process of rigging and how parenting can be used to advantage, I’d suggest watching Nathan Vegdahl’s Humane Rigging, the ultimate tutorial course on rigging. He covers creating simple rigs using object parenting, but then takes you on a journey into rigging that will leave you capable of building any rig you want from scratch.

Thank you very much!!!
I’d say that this thread is “closed” :slight_smile: