Sailing

After knocking this together very quickly for the weekly challenge, I’ve decided to continue with it.

I have, by and large, eliminated the problem of grass growing out of rocks (there are still a couple, but much better). To do this I did an orthographic top view render of just the ground plane and the rocks, the ground with a black diffuse and the rocks with white, took it into gimp, inverted the colours and cranked up the contrast, and used that image as a density texture for the grass.

Also done some work on the ground plane texture itself, and altered the composition slightly to follow the golden triangle.

More to do.

Nice, but - all the rocks have flat tops - this is my only criticism that this would not be the case in reality.

Nice picture composition and a nice idea.

Cheers, Clock.

Ahem. :smiley:

It is a cool little picture, but I agree the rocks could use a bit of love. Maybe just another subdivision would make them more like normal river rocks?

Thanks for the comments both. You are right that the rocks are in need of more work. Something for the weekend.

He doesn’t have hexagonal black rocks in a regular pattern though…

Cheers, Clock.

Update

And another tweak.

Much better!

Cheers, Cock.

Thank you. You have no idea how much time I spent on the normal map for the ground, tweaking and flipping.

Oh, and the addition of wildlife (if you noticed). Not mine, though I may remesh, original courtesy of trixiemay on Blendswap.