Copy Rotation Offset results in random rotation

The issue: Copy Rotation offset doesn’t work. Trying to manually rotate it results in random rotations and makes it impossible to animate unless it is disabled. This also applies to the Transform constraint.

I have a pretty simple human rig with IK arms and legs. I have two spine bones (‘spine’ and ‘chest’). I had the chest copy the rotation of the spine bone in local space, and enabled offset. The constraint acts as it should, but if I try to rotate the chest, they will initially rotate along its local axes, but after that (or if you try to initially rotate it along the global axes), it rotates wrong (seeming along multiple axes). This makes it incredibly hard to animate.

I then tried out a simple two-bone armature with this setup (with the child copying the parent), and it still happened. And again on another rig where each spin bone would copy a single controller.

I usually use Local Space to Local Space because the others don’t look normal.

1. Is there a sizeable difference in orientation from one bone to the other in rest pose ? (a screenshot would help)
  2. Do they obey the same rotate order ? (see in transform panel)
  3. Are these controller bones ? If so, try giving a child to the chest bone (without constraints on that one), it will be the controller instead and inherit the rotation from its contrained parent (which you will hide).

Thanks, here’s a better look at what I have

This is one without any extra controller bones. It’s a pretty simple setup. The chest’s roll is 0.
And I’m not sure what you mean for 3.

With this one, the selected curve controls the three spine bones (each one copies the rotation of this controller). But manually rotating the spin bones results in the same issue