[ADDON] ProSelect - Select a vertex based on the amount of connected vertices

ProSelect is a very simple addon that allow you in any mode to select all vertices that are connected with a specific amount of vertices each.

The addon can be downloaded here

https://github.com/kilon/ProSelect/archive/master.zip

The picture should be self explanitory how it works and it installs like any other addon

Nice idea, but instead giving it special tab to clutter already addon full t panel why not add it to select menu where checker deselect and another this type of things currently live?

Thks kilon,

I don’t know for what I need this but it’s interesting! Congrats.
:eyebrowlift:

great idea , I changed the addon to be accessible only via Select Similar menu in edit mesh mode

Under normal circumstances this addon is useless, because most modelers make models made out of quads. In a quad obviously a vertex will always be connected with 4 other vertices.

However if you are into procedural / fractal generation of topology , which basically means making weird repetitive topology following a specific pattern where a vertex may be connected to a various amount of vertices. This addon will help you select vertices falling inside that pattern where manual selection would be too time consuming because of the high amount of vertices.

Hence this addon is immensly useful for those that want to create patterned topology like the one in the image in included :slight_smile:

For example look what interesting topology I do by using the addon to select vetices only connected with 3 vertices and then apply a bevel on them

but why stop there we have 10 more seconds to come up with an interesting topology so lets apply the addon once more, extrude region outwards, inset, extrude region inwards , DONE !!!

and render

convinced ? :slight_smile:

:smiley: I am one of those arch, math, procedural, generative… complex modeler.
But i use Select Similar > Amount of connecting edges. & I hate addon cluttering! Usually everything is already in Blender as this is.

So what is this addon doing differently (except that you don’t need to select the sample)?

so how you would select all vertices that connect only with exactly 3 other vertices ? I cannot do it with amount of connecting edges and that treshold parameter is plain confusing.

^:rolleyes: An Edge is what connects vertices, isn’t it. :eyebrowlift:
So select a vertex that is connected to 3 others and do action Select Similar > Amount of connecting edges. As stated, one just needs to select the sample (then press a shortcut), for me it’s faster than scrolling the tabs, looking for menus…
Either way, enjoy it if you like it, i am just wondering if there’s any other (hidden or special) function that this addon does.

Thanks for sharing

Yeah its the same. I did not make the addon for myself I made it after a request from a fellow blender user, I knew it was easy to code so I gave it a try. Did not know blender could already do that. There are no hidden benefits , apparently the addon is not necessary so I will let it die, I was not planning to work on it anymore anyway I just spent a couple of hours to code it.

Currently I focus on developing a commercial addon for blender that will hopefully be release by end of August.

:slight_smile: Thanks for clarification.

Yes absolutely convinced but my amazement was about this kind of ball! Do you use this ball often? :confused:

The ball is not mine.

In Greece we have meetings of the greek community of Blender at Hackerspace Athens. In one of those meetings a fellow Greek Blender user had this request because he creates a lot of procedural meshes and he wanted to automate the whole process. I told him that I could easily do this via python , so I did make the code during the meeting but did not have the time to convert it to addon and provide a GUI. So he asked me to make it an addon and add the GUI, so I did that and released it here as well in case anyone will find it useful.

He has several techniques for procedural generation of fractal meshes, via extrudes, bevels, insets etc.

He got me intrigued in maybe making an addon that creates custom procedural generated meshes.

Procedural generation of meshes can be very useful for generation of assets for level creation in games which is an area that also interests me.

I have already a boolean addon in the making that moves towards that directly but I will have to do a lot of tests and experiments to get the results I want.

But I will keep you posted :slight_smile:

I agree. That threshold throws me off a lot. Hahahaha. I actually wrote a similar function into my addon package last year, I just haven’t published it yet. I hope you don’t mind.

If I did I would not be releasing addons that force me to use the GPL license :wink:

Got that. :smiley: