boolean letterx

Gday everyone

long time no podt

was wondering how I can boolean these letters I made in photoshop 3d out of this box, I’vd tried converting mesh to curve but no luck

Ahy Ideas would be much appreciated

NoHands

add the boolean modifier to the cube, then select Unify or Uniform to merge them, or Difference to carve into the box.

yer I did try that but it say it can’t be done :confused:

Exact error message?

Post the blend if possible.

here mate

sorry GrimZA i thought I replied
this is th evror i am getting

Maybe, some of these letters are nor closed meshes, just a possibility. If it was the case, try in edit mode to select ‘Non Manifold’ from the Select menu to reveal holes, or in alternative you can select all and run ‘Fill Holes’ and ‘Delete Loose’ from the Mesh -> Clean up menu.

EDIT: Even if there are not holes, some parts can be disconnected inside the same letter, then Remove Doubles can solve.

paolo

Gday Pablo

Thank heaps

I imported another set of letters filled all holes and deleted loose

and it worked :slight_smile:

You can, but it would be pretty useless I think, You could instead select just the edges forming the contour of each character and duplicate them without moving, then hit P ->Selection to get a new object from them. At last, in object mode you can convert this object to a curve by the menu Object -> Convert to -> Curve from Mesh/Text, or Alt+C.

If you want solid text you can set such curve to ‘2D’ type in the Data panel of the Properties palette, and add a Solidify modifier to it.

paolo

Glad to see your result, it looks good!

paolo

thanks mate will look better once its printed it black with the letters filledd in with white :slight_smile:

I think you already know, however, you can give two different materials to the object by simply assigning one to the text object and another to the box and the boolean will retain the materials assigned to each face.

Let us see the result!

paolo

that is very cool i’ll give it a go can you do it in cycles render?

Yes, it works by assigning different materials to the correct mesh faces, no matter which rendering engine these materials are set up for.

paolo

1 Like