"Concrete"

Hi everyone ,

A small recent project done with blender cycle filmic

enjoy , ( click on the image for the real version no over sharp )

Nice work! The concrete on the left wall looks amazing. I’m not much of an animal expert, but it seems like the horns on the skull are quite reflective. Is lowering their specularity and maybe adding more textures to those something you considered? For me that was the one thing that jumped out in the scene.

I’m honestly asking, because I’m very new to Blender and texturing :slight_smile:

Very nice image, nice concrete, keep making these kind of small projects.

Good, good. Render settings?

The only problem that I have with this render is unfortunately a bit of a serious one: there isn’t enough shadow-action to firmly establish the 3D illusion. The image could be taken to be flat, with the bookcase, as it were, somehow hanging in mid-air with nothing at all beneath it.

In the occasional case where I do use Cycles, I have encountered this problem before and I came up with a cheap-for-me solution: a BI-based render with a few well-placed conventional spotlights. I took the shadow information from the resulting MultiLayer OpenEXR file and used it to inject shadows after-the-fact, so that I had the “lovely, diffuse, all-penetrating light” for which Cycles is so famous, and good shadows.