What is a *reasonable* beginner's setup?

Hello everyone!

I am evaluating how much to spend on a new laptop since my last one died, I have just started using blender and only have some photoshop skills.

I am interested in trying out:

• 3d modeling
  • video mapping
  • game design
  • eventually try out some VR/AR

Is it wiser to start with an older laptop configuration (intel i5, GTX 960M, 800$ price range) and eventually upgrade to a GTX 1070, i7 setup (1600$ price range)?
I just don’t want to be forced to change laptop in a few months:ba:, I am also considering I may need to buy other devices that add up to the $$$.

Also I am considering buying other stuff like: (not right now but as soon as I advance with my skills)

• 1 external monitor
    I think an intel i5 with a GTX960M would be abl to run most external monitors with no problems
  • VR kit
    I know for testing VR I need the latest GPUs but I can get away with programming on a GTX960M, can’t I?
  • 1 projector
    Don’t really know what specs to look for that

What do you guys think?
hopefully this can be also useful to the other beginners around:)

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

I wouldn’t go with a last-gen GPU on a laptop, the 10xx series is made with a newer process that consumes less power and produces less heat for better performance. I also wouldn’t buy a cheaper laptop now just buy a better one later. See if you can’t get something in the middle (e.g. with a 1060).

As for VR and performance in general: It all depends on what you throw at it. Clearly the guys at Oculus/Samsung (GearVR) and Sony (PSVR) think their underpowered devices are just fine for certain VR experiences.

wait, did you mean you WOULD go with a last-gen GPU because of better power consumption and better performance?
so if I can afford a 1070 now I should go for it?

thanks

wait, do you mean a 1070 is wasted on a laptop?:spin:

Hi, whatever you decide please don t go with a laptop, it will never have enough power that a desktop can have, forget about laptop. If you cannot afford desktop, then and only then a laptop will suffice, but no, just no. Don t buy a laptop.