Moving Faces and Edges

I have been trying to figure this out and I am stumped…got to be something simple. I have some nipples on a character that were modeled and then retopped and material added. Then after working on other parts of the character, I came back to find his nipples extended beyond what I originally modeled. This shows in object mode as solid, material and rendered. When I went into edit mode, the nipple goes back into place. I would have to push the nipple into the chest in order for the model to look right in object mode. Any suggestions on what may be the problem? I have seperated and rejoined, moved in local mode and still the same problem…pic attached.

Even if it is, you’re making this a guessing game by not including an example .blend, and not including the feedback from the interface with screenshots. I can think of 7 ways to get that result but it’d be a waste of time to list and explain each, especially with the off chance none of them apply.

first that comes to mind is a modifier. check your modifier stack, and turn off invisibility on one by one to see if it has any effect.

if not, make sure you dont have any morph targets, or Shape Keys as blender calls it.
shape keys can be found in the Object Data
panel, and there you will see a dropdown called Shape Keys

or if you have a rid, then check your weight paints.

SOLVED. Ah that was it. I had a displace modifier on my nipples and I have no idea how that got there. I must be going crazy cause I don’t remember placing that there. Anyways, removed it and solved the problem…Thanks everyone for your help