First Character

Yesterday I began creating this African woman. This is my first character ever errrrr
Will make her body next.
I’m starting everything with sculpting and will do retopology once the model is done.
Let mo know what you think.
Current status:

Beginning of the project:

I think it’s looking splendid so far.

You have captured African features well.

Neck is a bit wide and maybe the jaw. I get that some women may have nicely defined jaw lines but they’re generally not wide.

EDIT: I’m probably not explaining well. I think it could be the chin now i come to think of it.

I’ve tried looking for images of African women with defined jaw lines and hopefully you’ll get what I mean

https://us.123rf.com/450wm/iconogenic/iconogenic1503/iconogenic150301421/38199164-african-american-woman-with-face-spattered-by-white-paint.jpg?ver=6

She has nice defined jaw. It;s slightly softer round the corners of jaw. Chin is smaller.

Here’s another one but look

looking forward to the retopologised piece. And pretty good for first character!

I agree, it looks pretty good to me. Good job especially for a first timer! Look forward to the progress and final. Keep it up! Also what Vonzaku mentioned about the jaw might be a bit wide at the back of the jaw I think that’s about all I noticed as well. Really captured the subject quite well.

Thanks guys!
So, you are right, the jaw was too much. I noticed that when I began sculpting the body, so I softened it a bit, and the neck too. Here’s an update:

As for the body, I’m going for slim and fit. So no hour glass shape for me :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, I am slow, plus have only a few hours during the day to work on this, so my progress is not as fast as I would like.
Once the thighs are done and the proportions are right, I’ll move on to the rest of the body parts.

Any suggestions on the proportions?

I finished the first round of sculpting, and I now need fresh new eyes to examine the model and tell me if the proportions are right or if there is something I can improve. Thanks!
Edit: someone already suggested I work on the proportions of the arms and fingers and improve the overall anatomy, so I’m working on that.

hello!
I made a iwarp of the face, hope you don’t mind

Mind?! Oh no… In fact, I would love it if you could do the same thing on the more recent image :stuck_out_tongue:

okey! just have in mind that this has a lot of limitations, and also that the image was lowres, for the head just use the other one as reference.
At the hand please fix the pose, it looks so unatural

You are too cool :slight_smile:

I’ll try to do the best I can with implementing these cganges in my sculpt. Except for the hips… I don’t want my model to be so curvy at that area.

As for the hand, this model is gonna be rigged, and the pose will be diferent.

Thanks for the help!

Here’s an update with a quick little render:

Yes, there is a very good explenation for the red eyes.
As for the retopology, it didn’t go so well. Will have to repeat the process if I want to rig the model.
Hope you like this sneak peek :slight_smile:

I like it! You captured the features well.

Thanks, Xewoshadow! You can stay tuned for more updates :wink:

Lovely!!! impresive! but please please make some lacrimal stuff!

Oh haha that yucky stuff in the corner? I can add the shape, but I can’t promise the material will be good. Thanks for the awesome tip! I wrote a note to remember that.

Okay, so things have evolved since I last posted. I redid the retopo, which made the face less realistic for loss of details. But I kinda like it like this. Don’t think I’ll use the Multires modifier.
I placed a little something in the eyes as a reminder to Tonatiuth’s comment.
That’s it for now. More work ahead…

Working on the details

The curls are a bit tricky. My goal is a curly mohawk. I am now experimenting and we’ll see how it goes.

Green mohawk, anyone? :wink:

After many trials and errors, this is the final hairstyle. It has 3 layers: super short strands, the curls and some stray strands.

I decided to go with green for two reasons. First, it compliments the red. Second, it fits more to the fantasy theme I’m going for.

I’m still working on the lacrimal thingy. The shape of the eye at that corner is easy to achieve, but the material… mmm not so much.

Wow this is looking really awesome.

First character… wow! Really awesome, great proportions, great execution. Keep doing what you do!

woow it looks really nice … ! Big ‘bravo’ , and the jewelry play an important role too!