My newest project in the works

Just started this one yesterday, only have about a couple hours into it. Reason I left the top off the car at the moment is I am on the fence about possibly doing a t-top instead of a solid roof.

looks not bad, like your mesh so far!

Thank you, but actually I kind of forgot to use a different method than what I normally do. So I actually am re-doing the whole body of the mesh again but without any cutouts in it then going to use that as a clean smooth surface to use a shrinkwrap modifier on to prevent any pinching when the headlights, tail lights, and turn indicators are all cut out of the duplicated mesh and a solidify modifier is added for thickness. Might work on it some more tonight some time when I get the chance.

Really a day to night difference to your first model. Keep it up!
Maybe also post wireframes with subdivision turned off.

Thank you! :slight_smile: yeah it is becoming a little easier but already developed a bad habit especially for trying the shrinkwrap method. It was pointed out to me on the FB group about not cutting out the headlamps and turn signals and such. So I essentially had to re-do the body without any cutouts in it and then I will duplicate it and be able to cut out the holes then apply the shrinkwrap to get it nice and smooth at the cutouts. Still having some issues getting the roof right though especially on this model cause the frame leading up from the body is so thin it tends to want to make creases in the roof when I extrude it out across the roof.

Here is some without the subdivision of the second body created for the shrinkwrap without any holes cut into the body.

And with subdivision turned on

And all I can say is WOW that shrinkwrap does wonders! Was just testing to see how the clean mesh was and applied the shrinkwrap and I about fainted. I finally have a smooth body with cutouts in it!

Pre Shrinkwrap

Post Shrinkwrap

Thank you more than I can say Strapazie!

Looks good.

Thank you :slight_smile: trying not to make this one a dented up mess :wink:

Great work! Are you still working on it?

I haven’t really had the time to work on it much recently but was planning on doing some more today. Been trying to work out the shrink wrap issues on the back of the car when it is applied. The lip wants to distort on the back area where the brake lights go. But yeah it is a slow work in progress. Thank you though for the positive comment. Once I make progress worth posting I will have some update images to share on here.

You may need to manually clean up the mesh to avoid cross sections.

http://i.imgur.com/owhwlmI.gifv

Ok I had a little bit of time today to work on the Opel some more. Been so wrapped up in projects around the house lately I haven’t had much time to do what I would rather be doing “Blendering” Also the viewport I do not have the shrinkwrap applied as it is not at the stage yet to apply but have tested it and it works miracles so what you are seeing is just the cut out mesh with just a subdivision level 2 on it. I think I may have bit myself in the butt though by not paying attention to the real world reference as the back window roof area actually extrudes down in before it even gets to the glass so I will find out later if I need to modify my guide mesh to allow for the shrinkwrap when I add in that extrusion.

Here is the progress so far.

You need to fix those lights, bruv.

Ummm Which lights? And to what do you think needs fixed? Right now they are just modeled to scale and then they will be placed into the rear of the car.

So I guess I am done with this for the time being till I get more than “fix the lights” or someone else chimes in and tells me cause as far as I can tell they are sized right. They will be positioned against the rear of the body when I get around to cutting the holes in it and beveling them outward to the chrome bezel around the light.

Oh, I though that those waves were by caused accident :stuck_out_tongue:

i think those waves on the light should be under the other parts of the light.
you could have another object over it and have that as a glass material.

Yes that is the intention. Hopefully I can get them finished soon so I can put it to bed what I am doing with the tail lights.

Just a little more progress. Been working on another fun little project so this one has been slow going.

Got the side pipes mostly modeled all that’s left for those is the bracket that attaches to the rocker panels then on to modeling the headlights. The caps that are there right now are just temporary and will be smoothed out and made to look cleaner once I get both sides of the headlights created. Also changed the environment lighting.

Very nice, but maybe you should lift the car up a bit? It looks a little too low to me.
P.S. I am working on a classic now as well.