What operating system are you on? 2017

Hi.

[READ FIRST BEFORE ANSWERING]
Since we are on the BGE subforums, I’ll make the rules for this poll very simple.
There are only four options: Windows, Mac, Linux and other.

Pick Windows if you can only open .exe on the OS.
Pick Mac if you can only open .app or .dmg (or any other Mac executable) on the OS.
Pick Linux if you can only open executables exclusive to Linux on the OS.
Pick ‘other’ if and only if you can’t open any of the above.

Pick all that apply. In other words, if you are willing and able to open different executables from more than one operating system above, make sure to pick them too. i.e. if you have more than one OS on your hard drive, if you have a working version of Wine that can open most Blender .exes, etc.

P.S. These votes are public.

In light of the the current BGMC, the fact that there hasn’t been an operating system poll in over three years and, through simple searches, I can’t find any here on the BGE Discussion forums, I think it’s about time we have one for 2017.

Anecdotally, (from being here for almost 10 years) I know that the community here on the BA BGE forum is a lot like a New York neighbourhood: very few long time stayers, many frequenters, but the majority are visitors.

Vote up, let’s see the OS distribution this time around. :slight_smile:

cygwin on win 7 x64

At the time of posting this linux is almost even with windows…that will change for sure, as mac is trailing…

I’m on linux.(mint)

linux on all machines
OpenSUSE leap
ScientificLinux 6 ( old pentum4 box)
scientificlinux 7
Debian8.9

win 7, I’ve never tried but from what I heard docker can help mitigate different platform without the bloating VM

Lubutu 14.04.5. - Blender is the fastest working on this assembly.

Can I vote linux twice? Once for work, once for at home…

Can I vote linux twice? Once for work, once for at home…

hahaahahhahahahaha

In other news, it looks like we almost have an even split between Linux and Windows. Interesting.

Windows and Linux, though I only use Linux due to my work/education.

PS: Linux is really starting to grow on me though.

This matches up with what I saw when googling around. 2.4% of people use linux (according to analyzing web browser usage), but 30-40% of people who take operating system polls use linux…
I think there are two reasons:

1. Linux users like taking operating system polls
  2. There are a huge number of people out there who “just use” computers, treating them like magic (eg elderly people and so on). They probably don’t even know what an OS is, and just use windows because it comes with the computer. (ie the computer illiterate). These people never see the polls, or participate in them.

But in the creative industries (eg arts and music), linux puts on a good showing in community polls.

My linux OS’s:

• Archlinux at home
  • Kubuntu at work