Jeff Bridges

This is a test render of Jeff Bridges I’m trying to improve.

Nice work! Almost there!

Keep working on it. Right now, it looks a bit “gnome-ish” at this point.

Looking pretty good! Just add some frizz in the hair, and refine your SSS (different textures for each layer of a triple-layer SSS), and you’re golden! (also consider varying the scale of SSS with either a texture or a vertex group - real people do not have uniform SSS).

Here are some further improvements with the skin and hair

Now, he looks like the “Dude”!

I am the walrus.

Super nice work there on this model. Looking good on the improvements.

I had to catch on to what you said, Banana. Nice one.

Brilliant! - some sweet lighting and this will look photoreal

Thanks for the kind comments. Here are some tests in different HDRI lighting. Also I’ve tried to improve the skin details.

Brilliant work!

Hi, … ! SO real

I think the first one in post number 10 looks the best. The other two wash out the skin texturing a bit too much.

I had a play in photoshop to try and get an improved lighting effect…

…using this as reference…

I increased the specularity and darkened the shadows.

I think there is very little wrong with your model, in fact it is epic - maybe the hair on the sides and back needs a little work as it looks more natural on top. The problem is in lighting.

In case you are not already (apologies if you are) - in 2.79 you can change Colour Management > View to “Filmic” and adjusting the “Look” you can vary the contrast settings. We shouldn’t be using sRGB - ever. If you are not 2.79 then Colour Management is on Github.

Thanks. I agree with your comments. I’m finding hair quite difficult as it has a complex order and disorder that’s hard to replicate by hand in blender. Will try to make it look more natural.

I was testing the materials to see how well they hold up in different HDRI lighting. They are OK in average lighting conditions but under strong directional lights it can look a bit plastic. I’m using Filmic blender, I’m still trying to readjust to desaturating/washed out effect. It probably is a matter of finding suitable HDR’s for portrait renders.

very good.