Mining and videocard.

to day my gtx 580 3gb leave me… was a good card, limited by only 3gb ram, but pretty fast in any circumstance.

Now, I delayed new card purchase waiting VEga, was sure with vega the actual price will going down and even Nvidia will doing some better discount for competition sake. But must purchase now, so I remember time ago rx480 was 240 €, rx580 was released recently, so I hope to find 480 at very good price and maybe 580 with some discount (all in all Vega is on the way). Well, after few minutes searching I found RX480 for 500 €! Shocked googling for find the reason and the reason is VGA are very good for cryptovalute mining and in particular AMD one seems well performing with a cryptovalute called Ethereum (or similar)

So, our glorious moment when AMD finally become a cheap alternative to nvidia (with a suitable and working driver for cycles and decent amount of ram) pass away too fast…

Now, after a lot of searching finally found a RX480 for 280 € (with near 2 years of warranty), I’m very disappointed to spend money on old piece of hardware overpriced, but cannot delay. Any advice about?

or you get yourself a card that is not intersting to miners (ea higer power usage), or use of a online renderfarm that might be cheaper.

what card is out of interest to miners?

Sameone said me in september will solve the problem, but I need a videocard for modelling, actually I’m without videocard.

Now, after a lot of searching finally found a RX480 for 280 € (with near 2 years of warranty), I’m very disappointed to spend money on old piece of hardware overpriced, but cannot delay. Any advice about?

That still sounds like it’s below market rate, unless it’s used.

If it’s within your budget I’d get a 1080Ti, it has barely risen in price. It supports CUDA, has a bit of extra memory, it’s much faster and it should last you for a long while.

what card is out of interest to miners?

Only the low end (with little memory) and the very high end (where AMD has no product ready).

I’d liek to buy the 1080, but at the moment is out of my budget. I postponed my upgrade waiting Vega, was sure even nvidia will drop down the price for be more competitive.

The card is new, my only doubt is I ever used Nvidia (no a fan, only for cuda), also, what the difference with the 580 in cycles and viewport management (I move usually scene with lot of object and meshes)?

Why all will change in September?

“Why all changes in September?” / “September’s Tale” (a short burnin fiction)

The year starts anew (based on roman catholic church). Months got R in their names. Summer ends in equinox. The last yearly quarter starts. Leaves are leaving branches. Reports are getting prepped for committees & ruling bodies… for Father has to know to judge, to decide, how and where to balance good VS evil (profit VS taxes). As the judgement day nears (end of the fiscal year) the Holy Spirit tends to stay calm at +0, only then Son is allowed to party for the second time… yet again…

September - December (4/4)

• uni/college/school starts
  • steady, somewhat less transactions til December
  • recaps + plans = comparative reports… start flowing in to capital intellectual cliques
  • by December the cliques know where “WE” stand, can then balance the money trafficking, so transactions are back on the rise…
    … to:
  • minimize loss, sell products that are soon to be outdated based on production year & season, loosing value as dates differ (ie. cars, tech, merchandise…) - BLACK FREEDAY & CHRIST.MASS… to the rescue - to convince poor masses (family = basic unit) to spend what was left of their souls… from summer vacations & school’s obligations…
  • share gifts (bribes, devised in the past when nomadic tribes roamed the land) to survive the winter within the hosting land/kingdom/civilization in the south, before the spring came, when they were sent (or forced) to leave back to north… a tradition (pagan) still in practice in many parts of Euro-Asia
  • companies need to focus on showing there’s “NOT TOO MUCH PROFIT” for them before GOD (by law), GREED is EVIL & the punishment are higher taxes (HELL)… so that at the end (of days) everything looks heavenly fine & dandy, a OK, +9,99€ @ 00:00 01.01.2018

… if in doubt, consult with the Man, the White & the Trump.
:wink:

PS
Got GTX 1060 (6GB) used for 220€ (bit slower & less RAM than RX480, tho working with CUDA)

errr post removed